• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RallyeP6

What Sensor ?. Tu24

RallyeP6

Hello everyone,

took out the distributor on my TU24 Rallye last night to check the vacuum advance capsule and found a sensor underneath. Its screwed into the cylinder head directly under the distributor, looks like a water temperature sensor or over temp sensor and is not connected.

My water temp sensor is on top of the thermostat housing, anyone know what this could be?.

Rouben.

trogboy

Yep, It's a temperature switch for the vacuum advance system. Works like the SAD on a gti where it is open when cold and closed when hot.

I can't remember exactly where it fits in the system but i think it was between the vacuum take off of one of the carbs and the T-piece to the other line.

Ad

RallyeP6

Hi trogboy, yes that vacuum switch i have seen, ts red and has two pipe connections on it.

The one i found is thermistor or temperature switch with a single spade terminal on it.

trogboy

Doh! I should have read that more carefully.

I am pretty sure that that one is the temp switch for the stop light on the dash. I seem to remember having an anxious drive after I changed the engine because I mixed up this wire and the coolant temp sensor on the thermostat housing so as it got up to temp the stop light started glowing.

Ad

smithy

If it has similar set up to gti then there is a thermister for gauge and another one for the red light. Maybe depending on model the light one is only used when no temp gauge fitted?

RallyeP6

Thankyou Ad and Smithy, over temp switch then. I thought it might be something more fancy. Will have to see at what temperature this switches on at, i might be able to use it for a two speed fan control.

Rouben.