• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smithy

1.9 Running Issues

smithy

Engine is running now but i have had to advance the ignition timing a lot to get it to idle (rotated anti clockwise so think advanced) it idles around the 1k mark now,it is also nice and smooth and stays pretty steady with all electrics on just a bit strange it needs that much advance.

Should it really need advancing that far to get it to idle?(almost fully round)

only thing i can think is the dizzy may be wrong but got the 1.9 vac capsule fitted? currently got one ending 063 is this for a 1.9 engine?

cam timing and valve clearence are spot on.

by look of vac capsules the 1.6 one has shorter rod so looks to keep more advance on at idle compared to the longer 1.9 rod?

Items i can confidently rule out as they have been changed are.

dizzy cap/rotor

plugs

ecu

temp sensor

AFM measured fine with meter.

TPS and throttle flap set up correctly

engine freshly rebuilt with excellent oil pressure and good compression.

anyone got any ideas?

Anthony

066 is a 1.9 dizzy from memory, and something like 085/086 for a 1.6 dizzy.

Some engines/dizzys do seem to need alot of advance to work correctly, but doesn't seem to cause an issue. A friend of mine used to have one that needed the slots on the dizzy extending to get it right - never worked out why (although I didn't look into it too closely) but it certainly worked fine and produced decent power.

Advance is clockwise if you're standing on the passenger side of the car btw.

smithy

my mistake i did turn clockwise viewed from n/s wing so is advanced.

i will just drive it and see how it goes might tinker with dizzy to get pinking slightly then back off bit at a time until it stops as tom fenton suggested.

before i advanced it it would run with the accelerator pressed but it was bogging down when revved dread to think what it would be like under load on the road? so definately suggests to me it was retarded too much.

only thing i can think would cause the dizzy to need advancing so far is either incorect vac capsule or worn internals,but if it does the job as it is then i will just leave it for now as it will all be changed anyway come turbo time next year..

lemmingzappa

Afaik the vacuum unit only comes into play at low-mid range, so it shouldn't affect the way the car runs on full chat. If there are still problems under load then i'm sure you can rule out the capsule.

smithy

Afaik the vacuum unit only comes into play at low-mid range, so it shouldn't affect the way the car runs on full chat. If there are still problems under load then i'm sure you can rule out the capsule.

I was just saying i think it could be a reason why i need so much advance to get it to idle,because the rod length on capsule does not give it enough advance at idle,even with no vac the longer rod will cause the inners to be more retarded than if it were the shorter rod one fitted.

seems to run ok now it is advanced a lot quite free revving static but i have not tried under load yet.

I am beginning to think the 063 dizzy could be a 1.6 one.

can anyone who has a clip on cap dizzy fitted to a 1.9 have a look at the bosch number to see if i can find out if the 063 is for a 1.9? saying that or even what number the 1.6 clip cap dizzy is?

lemmingzappa

I'll take a look for you in the morning when the sun comes up :P

smithy

Thanks

Pugs in Pieces

063 is certainly not for a 1.9, ill check on the dizzys later for numbers etc

smithy

If that's the case I think that could be the problem.

Pugs in Pieces

have checked today and 063 is a 1.6 clip on cap style, 066 is screw cap 1.9, 086 is screw cap 1.6, also 068 is clip on cap 1.6. i have used all the above on 1.6s and 1.9s without issue.

smithy

have checked today and 063 is a 1.6 clip on cap style, 066 is screw cap 1.9, 086 is screw cap 1.6, also 068 is clip on cap 1.6. i have used all the above on 1.6s and 1.9s without issue.

thanks for that i will have a butchers on SB see if i can find out what the 1.9 clip on number is.

smithy

right had a look on SB and by elimintion i reckon the clip on cap type for a 1.9 should be either 051 or 074,can anyone with a 1.9 clip on cap dizzy have a look at the bosch number for me to see if my suspicions are correct please?

Pugs in Pieces

didnt think they did a clip cap on the 1.9?

smithy

You might be right there car was originally a 1.6 but previous owner fitted 1.9 and left AFM,ECU fron 1.6 on so prob did same with Dizzy.

Looks like I better get another wanted thread going,gutted only bought the 063 off baz other month thinking it was for a 1.9.

smithy

got the 1.9 066 dizzy today (thanks pugs in pieces) comparing the 066 with the 063 it is clear why the 063 i have fitted with the 1.9 vac advance needs to be so far round the slots to get it running.

the bodies of dizzy are different so when timed on no1 the rotor is in same position but the cap electrodes between the 2 are positioned differently due to the different dizzy bodies,roughy quarter to half inch difference i would say. and then the longer 1.9 vac advance in the 1.6 dizzy retards it even more.

The 066 has screw on cap and according to local factors and halfrauds the only bosch cap listed is clip cap with female connections,ducellier has got the make ends.Any way i took a punt at Halfrauds and got a set of female leads and a male cap that looked correct HDC519 and it fits and seems to be correct will know for sure when engine back in the car. Not bad price considering it was halfrauds either Bosch leads and the dizzy cap came to £25 with my trade card.

Sign in to follow this