• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

End Plate Clearnace

skinner2k3

A question for the beam experts........

How crucial is the 4mm ARB end plate to radius arm clearance dimension prescribed by the Haynes manual?

I ask as I will be welding up a 106 24mm ARB on one end and the closer the two plates are the more spline engagement I can have on the removable end.

Can the clearnace be reduced?

Thanks

Ben

skinner2k3

Clearnace.....doh!

Paul_13

There's a seal that goes inbetween the arb plate and trailing arm, so probably accounts for that.

welshpug

4mm?! its 1mm total, 0.5mm per side.

Cameron

Can't be that crucial as I always whacked them on as far as they go! :lol::blush:

Why does it even matter? :wacko:

SurGie

There's a seal that goes in-between the arb plate and trailing arm, so probably accounts for that.

Do you mean the yellow/cream coloured fabric type one ?

There are 2 seals, one that goes on the end plate and is black rubber type. The other goes on the shaft ends when shaft is inside the arm, its an O ring type. I think that is the main cause of water getting into the beams in the first place tbh.

tri_longer

Does anyone know if you can use a large o ring instead of the standard seal at all?

Paul_13

Do you mean the yellow/cream coloured fabric type one ?

That was the one I ment, you can find them in plumbers seal sets from hardware stores. Used in unions on pumps etc.

Does anyone know if you can use a large o ring instead of the standard seal at all?

I would like to know this aswell, would give a better seal in my opinion

SurGie

It would be good to have a rubber type with added grease, instead of the fabric type.

I have thought of trying to replace one for a rubber type but not got round to find one suitable. It would have to be sticking out a notch so it gets squashed in to seal.

Tom Fenton

I would like to know this aswell, would give a better seal in my opinion

I don't agree as standard, as the o ring would probably over time and suspension cycles push the end plate tension off so it would no longer be sealing. It could be made to work by using a countersunk bolt to hold the arb end plate tight onto the trailing arm. An o-ring is only any good when held compressed.

Paul_13

I don't agree as standard, as the o ring would probably over time and suspension cycles push the end plate tension off so it would no longer be sealing. It could be made to work by using a countersunk bolt to hold the arb end plate tight onto the trailing arm. An o-ring is only any good when held compressed.

A flat rubber oring would be the best to use IMO not a normal one. I can't see a small bit of rubber pushing something off which is hammered into place.

Edited by Paul_13

Anthony

Why reinvent the wheel though?

The standard OE foam seal is cheap, readily available and is proven to do the job providing that it's fitted correctly.

Paul_13

Because I want a square wheel. :lol:

They leak because of age not a faulty design.

Paul_13

Because I want a square wheel. :lol:

They leak because of age not a faulty design.

skinner2k3

Thats good then, should gain back some of the 8mm of spline engagement I lost!

I did think it looked at bit odd, but I put my trust in Haynes! If anyone has a manual to hand can they check it does say 4mm each side and that I am not going mad?

Cheers

skinner2k3

The foam seal is 5174 03 yes?

philfingers

std seal and plenty of grease in there too, it's fine