• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul_13

205 1.8 Diesel Alternator Problem

Paul_13

Evening,

Went to meet Arahan earlier to drop the rallye seats off, stopped the car turned it off. Went to start it again and the battery was severely drained, did not want to turn the starter.

Gave the alternator a big whack and checked the connections and everything is where it should be.

Arahan gave me a bump start (much appreciated mate! your a star) and it started again idling really low. Drove all the way back to the digs without stopping.

Checked the indicator on the battery and it gone green again as though it's charged up. It starts fine but I can't risk the drive back to Reading on Friday and driving to college and back before then.

I don't have a multimeter, so can't check the voltage and the battery is fairly new. Had the radio on full blast and the satnav on charge.

It's been a little funny starting in the last few days, but I put this down to the starter but that is ok.

It's on nearly 140k and believe it's the oe alternator.

I'm 99% sure it's the alternator, what are peoples opinions.

Thanks

Anthony

Does sound suspiciously like the alternator.

Does the battery/charge light still work as it should - ie on with ignition, and then out when the engine starts?

A quick and dirty clue as to whether it's charging is to turn the headlights on, and see if they get brighter when you start the engine - it's not foolproof by any means, but it gives you an idea. If they don't, rev the engine to 3000-4000rpm and see if they then get bright, which would point at the alternator not charging until it self-excites.

Given that a cheapo multimeter is a fiver, it's probably worth buying one just to confirm the fault before buying a new alternator. A 1.8 diesel alternator should be the same as a GTi one, so if there's anyone on here local to where you are with a spare and a few basic tools, that might be another option to get you going again.

Oh, and given that it's a diesel - make sure that the fuel injector pump isn't leaking, as inevitably it drips into the alternator and kills them. No point replacing the alternator if the underlying cause is still present...

Paul_13

Does sound suspiciously like the alternator.

Does the battery/charge light still work as it should - ie on with ignition, and then out when the engine starts?

A quick and dirty clue as to whether it's charging is to turn the headlights on, and see if they get brighter when you start the engine - it's not foolproof by any means, but it gives you an idea. If they don't, rev the engine to 3000-4000rpm and see if they then get bright, which would point at the alternator not charging until it self-excites.

Given that a cheapo multimeter is a fiver, it's probably worth buying one just to confirm the fault before buying a new alternator. A 1.8 diesel alternator should be the same as a GTi one, so if there's anyone on here local to where you are with a spare and a few basic tools, that might be another option to get you going again.

Oh, and given that it's a diesel - make sure that the fuel injector pump isn't leaking, as inevitably it drips into the alternator and kills them. No point replacing the alternator if the underlying cause is still present...

Battery light operates as it should, no faults there.

I'll give the headlights a go.

Hopefully the sparky lecturers have got a multimeter somewhere, there's no one at college really so might be a problem. (i'm in Leeds :( lucky i bought my tool set!)

Again i'll check, cheers for the tips Anthony :) It's pissing me right off!

cheesegrater

Is it the same as the GTi alternators? I've got one spare if you want it Paul. Battery should be charging at around 13.8volts. I've got a multimeter and all the other bits you'll need, mine failed and it turned out to be broken flying lead to charge lamp. If this isn't connected the alternator doesn't charge until it self excites like Anthony says.

Arahan

Thats OK matey no problem! Would hardly leave you stranded! :)

Thought I actually had a spare alternator to be honest and had a look around for you last night but no joy unfortunatly.

Paul_13

Is it the same as the GTi alternators? I've got one spare if you want it Paul. Battery should be charging at around 13.8volts. I've got a multimeter and all the other bits you'll need, mine failed and it turned out to be broken flying lead to charge lamp. If this isn't connected the alternator doesn't charge until it self excites like Anthony says.

I'm in Leeds mate, otherwise I'd take you up on that offer. I'm pretty sure its the alternator after a few whacks it jumped back to life. Not risking it back to Reading with a dodgy alternator did it before and broke down

Cheers for looking Arahan, shame you don't have one.

Edited by Paul_13

Paul_13

Did the headlights test earlier and the lights were a bit dim for 3seconds then jumped back to normal. It has deffinately been on the way out for a while, the idles back to normal now I've fitted the new alternator.

Strange how it affected the idle, the solenoid must of been cutting in and out rapidly with alternator hovering around/below the 12v mark.

No need to worry now driving back home :)

It's amazing how much of a difference the ecp branch in Leeds compared to reading. They're useless back home!