• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Iain-gti

[race_prep] 205 Gti6 Race Car

Iain-gti

Hi,

This is my first project thread so be kind, but lots of people have said that i should do one. So here it goes.

Well after thinking long and hard about what car to buy as a fast road car project, there were a few that took my fancy but after seeing these I changed my mind. It was suggested that a 205 could be a good project and the first one I saw i bought. I found a graphite grey 1.9 for £300 gave it a once over new it was not in perfect condition but for £300 cant complain and bought it there and then. Trailered it back to my house and set about fully striping the interior and checking the condition of the shell, just to found out that it was worse than i thought but was fixable. next job to find out why it was running ruff, before it all together stopped working. Simple fix was just the starter motor.

After fixing it all decided that their wasnt much point spending the money on the engine when the best way to get power as well all know is a conversion. So with the car fully stripping down the engine now on the way out the engine was advertise on the forum and a week later had a buyer. So with engine sold and interior fully striped and sold too, i set about looking for a new engine. So after a quick scan through the normal places and not finding alot, ali on here was selling an Gti6 engine so snapped that up.

Now with the all the parts the whole lot went up to work. Once there the car and engine was cleaned before setting about fixing the rust on the shell and rebuilding the engine. Then the long list of items started to flow, Which included full engine gasket set, cams, lightened flywheel and pulley, sheet of metal and clutch. Cutting a long story short fixed some of the rust and re-sprayed the engine bay then started to think about the next step which included a roll cage and when i found a design I liked priced it all up bloody typical a shell with the same cage came up on ebay/forum. For a similar price i couldnt resist. With a lot less work and time involved i went to view and you can guess it bought it =D. A week later it was delivered on a lovely tuesday evening, before going to the body shop on wednesday morning for a full re-spray inside and out and to sort the small amount of rust on the rear quarter.

This is where it currently sits now with the rear quarter rust cut out and a new piece welded in. I have also spent the last week sanding down all the body panels and the inside.

Newest update:

All body panels removed prepped and will be sprayed later this week.

Pictures to be added! heres a quick link before a added proper pictures.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150253605387037.376329.515657036&l=3af7ce76f2

Iain

Masekwm

I love the new shell, mine is now on the road properly, we'll have to go for a spin in a few weeks :)

Baz

Looks familiar! :D Many memories! & I delivered & collected it from R&D many moons ago when the cage was fitted. Phil mentioned you bought it! Nice one, funny how it's ended up back down this way again!

Here she is some 5 years ago!

IMG_1926.sized.jpg

Good luck with it Iain, keep the updates coming! :D

Iain-gti

Yeah should keith so i know what to except when mines going. Shes been around the block has she baz lol

Well newest update today is: Rear quarter is full welded inside and out, Filled sanded down ready to paint. Just need to prep inside of the shell before bunging loads of sealant to stop it from happening again. Sunroof holes have been filled sanded and again ready to go. Bonnet has been fully prepped along with one door and boot, just other door tomorrow to do and then continue prepping the shell for paint next week.

Iain

rallyeash

what series are you intending to race it in? just that there aint many races that 16v 205's are eligable for.

Iain-gti

dunlop tin top series and i think 750 motor club, you can run pretty much any car and you will just be put into a class dependent on engine spec and size.

rallyeash

hmmmm :ph34r: might look into that

rallyeash

so be in class D yeah?

Baz

Looks a good series that, been giving it a little consideration myself!

Not really been around the block so much, just known! Was always owned by Tom_M, just went through a few different phases of 'evolution!' Shame it never got finished, the old engine's sat in my workshop waiting for someone to buy it, 8v turbo with >300bhp potential. Tom moved to London a few years ago, then lost his workshop so had to sack it off unfortunately, it went to the 'Ring in '07 or so just after the cage was fitted with a 1.9 8v, just before it went off the road for the new engine.

That cage is a work of art, it should be for what it cost though, somewhere just shy of £2k!

tom_m

Good luck with it, nice to see the shell being put to it's proper use finally.

Shame you didn't catch the original sale or you'd have got some nice suspension bits with it too :ph34r:

Iain-gti

so be in class D yeah?

Yeah =D

Iain-gti

It was on sale when the view new content button was down and i must have over looked it, i would have snapped it up.

update: The shell has been fully prep inside and out, went in the booth just before i left and sprayed some etch on the bare metal. Tomorrow certain bits get primed and then more boring prep before COLOUR =D getting moaned at for doing it completely white inside and out. they want me to do the roll cage a funky colour. What you lot think??

Baz

White's a simple colour, cheap, easy and looks great, easy to replicate should any damage happen etc etc. As for the cage colour though, it's a good idea IMO, makes it stand out from the rest of the generic white ones, which is always a good thing in many ways when racing, makes people remember it etc!

Iain-gti

Urrrmmmm cant decide, anyway other update. Started digging around with the screw driver at the rust spots in the rear seats and made a little hole. so both sides sanded back and welded =D Booth was busy all day so ended up sanding alloy wheels ready for paint and just before i left masked car up so the bottom half of the doors,wings, front section, bottom of the engine bay and rear quarter are being stone chipped with stuff called raptor. It is going in the booth monday to be sprayed completely =D cant wait.

Another thing how do I insert pictures?

Iain

welshpug

or FlickR, imageshack, etc :)

Iain-gti

Well i wanted to put them into the post there on facebook atmo as it easy to upload from my phone.

Masekwm

You should be able to post to photobucket and then copy and past the img link on your phone :)

Iain-gti

keith seems way to much effort lol

Iain-gti

Update: Stonechip was sprayed on today decide to spray it the lower quarter of the entire car and then it is just getting sprayed over so wont really be seen. Tomorrow parts are being primed and etched ready to be sprayed on thursday =D

Iain-gti

Update: The car has been fully primed and flatted couple of lil spots here and there to sort out tomorrow before the car gets the colour next week. All pictures are being uploaded to facebook.

Iain-gti

update: Got all the body panels sprayed today in white =D looks lovely and clean. Also got the nimrod wheels sprayed black. Tomorrow is just the shell inside and out and then colour sand and to polish it all.

Edited by Iain-gti

Iain-gti

All painted now, paint was soo good doesnt need polishing. Only the roll cage and inside needs to be done a little bit because of the over spray. The trims are being restored to black and then they will go on with the rest of the parts. but thats happening when i get back from holiday.

More pictures on photobucket