• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eob

Starter Motor Differences

eob

I think we're all fundamentally agreed that the standard 205 GTi starter (the large, big body one) is probably a throwback to the seventies, and as a result, makes an appalling job of trying to cold-crank an engine. I read on another thread about how one GTi nut just throws any one he finds in the bin and I have to say I agree. All my standard 8v starters ended up in the scrap metal pile a long time ago!

I've been unlucky, to say the least, with scrapyard starters, so I opted to buy a brand-new one. Working on the knowledge that all XU starters are interchangeable, I went with a 1.9 XUD 1.7Kw Lucas from EuroCarParts, from a 1.9 XU Xsara. Except it doesn't fit. The main body of the motor fouls the area around the dipstick on my Mi16 (D6C). This is the second time this has happened with a scappy motor, I presumed the first was just an odd-job starter but this was a brand new Lucas model for use on the 1.9D Xsara 2000, so it seems not all Peugeot/Citroen circa 2.0L petrol/diesel starters ARE interchangeable after all as it's the second time it's happened.

So... With that in mind, what ones don't fit?

Have done some research and it seems the 1.7kW diesel is the one that doesn't fit, whereas this is the one to go for if you're replacing your own on both the 1.9 8v and 16v Peugeot engines.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peugeot_406_2.0_2000/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/electrical/starter-motor/?402735231&1&dad65ce26b9eed0ef6494004369071fc96e80991&STAM

Note: Lucas model shown above, the Bosch one is ~£10 more expensive, not sure if it's better or not, the RTX ones don't come recommended as according to a few sources, inc. ECP themselves, they're prone to failure.

Edited by eob

Anthony

What you want is the petrol XU7/XU10 Valeo slimline starters - they fit, they work, and they keep working.

GEDC1238.png

(a picture I pulled off Google, but certainly looks right and what I can make out of the part number appears to be correct from memory)

I've not personally come across diesel ones that don't fit (although I've only ever used a few), but some of them that I've seen in the scrappy have been somewhat on the large side and I guess could well foul the against the block as you found.

eob

I'm actually going to pick up a new Lucas petrol one, £91 exchange which is excellent VFM given that the scrapyard one cost €45 and doesn't work!

I'm kinda hoping this thread serves as a warning too, so nobody else gets caught out! :)

PS. Thanks for the response Anthony, always first class with the replies. If you're ever in the South of Ireland (Wexford) there's a sandwich/cup of tea waiting for you.

Edited by eob

S@m

Bought a new 406 2.1/1.9 TD 1.7kw starter (Lucas) from the factors, fitted on my mi16 fine! And cranks fast as fook! Ill see if i can find the box and get a part number when i get home tonight.

Sam

EDIT - although my dipstick tube doesnt come up in the standard spot, it comes up to the right of the inlet mani (as you look at the engine), so maybe thats the difference.

Edited by Sam306

eob

Mine was the same, cranked like a BTCC car with an air starter when the old, geared, hi-torque Mitsubishi starter was fitted. Maybe I just have an unusual engine! As far as I can tell, how it fouls is that the starter motor body itself fouls against the block. If you try to torque up the starter-motor bolts the starter will sit at a an angle with the back of the motor tilted out towards the front of the car. It's also possible it's fouling inside the gearbox itself as the Lucas has quite a long 'domed' priece on the end which slides inside the gearbox.

backroadpug

I have a 307 HDI starter fitted to my D6C and had no problems

S@m

I have a 307 HDI starter fitted to my D6C and had no problems

INteresting, thats a DW10 engine one i presume. Didnt know you could use those!

Sam

James504

+1 for Valeo slimline starters.

Edited by James504

Sign in to follow this