• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

Xu10 Starter Registration Number

TaffyTim

From reading old threads its an xu10 starter motor I want to replace my big bodied one with and a diesel one is prefered.

The motor factors and scrappys dont sseeem to like such vauge info and started asking questions such as how many teeth has the dog got??

has anyone got a numberplate or a part number that I can use to get the right starter ?

Mikey S

ive had two 306 dturbo ones on mine, both around 1995 in age and ive not bothered counting dog teeth etc and never had a problem. there cheap on ebay, around 20 quid. :)

Anthony

From reading old threads its an xu10 starter motor I want to replace my big bodied one with and a diesel one is prefered.

XU10 and diesel starters aren't the same thing, so which are you after?

They're interchangeable to a point, but an XU10 starter is a noticeably more compact unit than a typical diesel starter.

XU10 starter will come from just about any 1.8 or 2.0 XU 16v engine (found in most late 90's PSA mid-size cars - Phase 2/3 306's, Phase 1 406's, Xsara's, Phase 2 Xantia's etc) and usually made by Valeo. Ordering from a motorfactor can be a bit of a lottery as to what you get, as I've seen them supply the God-awful original starter fat-body motors before now.

TaffyTim

XU10 and diesel starters aren't the same thing, so which are you after?

They're interchangeable to a point, but an XU10 starter is a noticeably more compact unit than a typical diesel starter.

Ah ok, thanks for pointing that out, I was presuming that they were both the slimline type, as thats idealy what i'm after.

welshpug

they are, but diesel ones are geared down, petrol are direct drive.

TaffyTim

So if I were to call gsf and provided they give a slimline one which should I ask for? I'm presuming the price difference is too nominal to be a factor

TaffyTim

ok so i called gsf today and they said they had a Valeo unit on the shelf and it was about 75 quid plus the vat.

When i turned up the guy went to get the item and came back saying that it wasn't there but they did have another unit and it was cheaper at £55 ish plus the vat (£48 after some discount). I cant remember the exact name of it but it was manufactured by a company called something like Farhanzen, but definitely wasnt a valeo.

I now have this and Im waiting on the bolts from Peugeot before I put it on but Im generally in the belief that if you buy cheap then you buy twice so Im a bit dubious of this item. Has anyone got any experience of the cheaper starter motors from GSF?

Also it has come with a locating ring that sits and protrudes out of the muddle bolt hole, will the Mi block take this or shall i just leave it off?

The part number is 901PC0132 if anyone else is after it.

Miles

I've stopped using GSF for most things now as the quality has gone down hill I think, But if the starter is or was a Valeo item you should be OK, Even if it has a label on it you still should find the original name stamped into the body, If not walk away

The large bodied starters where made by loads of various companies

P_Monty

Aww nuts - sounds like the one I've just got to fit this weekend - a 'Franzen'. Still, its got to be better than the one I took off (which didn't work properly). Its a slimline one which is considerably lighter than the old one. It also comes with a 'dyno' print telling me it can produce 1400W (a little under 2hp) and 8NM at 1600rpm and 350A - KERS here i come :D

TaffyTim

Aww nuts - sounds like the one I've just got to fit this weekend - a 'Franzen'. Still, its got to be better than the one I took off (which didn't work properly). Its a slimline one which is considerably lighter than the old one. It also comes with a 'dyno' print telling me it can produce 1400W (a little under 2hp) and 8NM at 1600rpm and 350A - KERS here i come :D

Thats the one Ive got too monty with the same printout. Its a slim one Miles and its so clean it looks new, not just a recon job (although i dont know how clean the recon ones look). Theres no name stamped on the body but there is a number, 001PC0132 ST 219.1010-10

I guess the quality will be tested by me and Monty as this one too is in a much better state than the one that came off the car. So unless there are any reported issues i'll be a guinea pig.

Miles

Keep us posted, I know the big bodied ones which where recon where all rubbish, due to the volt drop and not taking into account heat soak