• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
thomasrally

205 Gravel Car - What To Upgrade?

thomasrally

Hi all

Looking at potential upgrades to my 205 gravel spec rally car so thought I'd ask for some recommendations or suggestions before deciding!?

I'm looking at mainly 3 areas at the moment which is where I think we would benefit most, those being:-

Gearbox - Upgrade from 4.8cwp to a 5.1

Throttle bodies - Change from weber 40's to throttle bodies

Suspension - Change from rear Bilsteins to Reiger or similar

Any other suggestions?

welshpug

depends where yopu think it's slowing you down, is it a close ratio gear set already? would agree that proper dampers would help a lot on these cars.

increaded drivability from the throttle bodies might mean you wont need a 5.1 f/d, thats awfully low but depends what your redline is and how big your tyres are.

thomasrally

depends where yopu think it's slowing you down, is it a close ratio gear set already? would agree that proper dampers would help a lot on these cars.

increaded drivability from the throttle bodies might mean you wont need a 5.1 f/d, thats awfully low but depends what your redline is and how big your tyres are.

Yeah its the 205/gti6 gear-set with the 4.8cwp.

The reason I was thinking of changing the CWP was because we're never really able to hit the limiter in 5th gear even on quite long straights running around 150bhp@flywheel with 14 wheels and on the tight stuff we always seem to be getting bogged down with the carbs which is why I was looking at possibly changing to throttle bodies, our power is mainly between 3500-7000rpm but below the curve it's very boggy.

harryskid

On gravel would you not be better off with 15" wheels?

Baz

Makes little or no difference as the rolling radius is around the same.

What's a 205/gti6 gearset? It's one or the other AFAIK!

thomasrally

Makes little or no difference as the rolling radius is around the same.

What's a 205/gti6 gearset? It's one or the other AFAIK!

Hi the box uses 1st and 2nd from the 205gti box and 3rd,4th and 5th from the gti6 box, a little machining and it all fits together

Miles

Weak box then really, all the GTi6 gears are far more prone to stripping off, Bad choice in a rally car

thomasrally

Weak box then really, all the GTi6 gears are far more prone to stripping off, Bad choice in a rally car

Well this box has done almost 20 events and hasn't needed anything other than an oil change :)

What other 'close-ratio' options are there then?

Edited by thomasrally

Miles

The best bet is the early BE1 1.6 ratio's with a 4.8 etc, Nice strong box then, Having seen around 99% more 306 box's with striped gears over 205 ones that say allot, And as you may know I see hundreds of these box's each year

thomasrally

Guys how much of a difference will it make once my dizzy is recurved?

Sending it off to get done with H&H ignition solutions next week so I'm hoping it might help with the problem I have with the car getting boggy below 3500 revs

Sign in to follow this