• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tidypug

[Engine_Work] Supercharged 205 Rebuild

tidypug

When I was out for a drive in the pug in April 2010 the engine began to rattle / knock, so with this I drove the car to my parents and left it there until I could be arsed to deal with it. In the October I had bought my first house so spending money on the pug wasn't an option so the pug stayed at my parents in their garage until April this year. When the money was available to fix the car I had a problem at my house because I hadn't got a garage to put the car in so this is were the story started.

First job was to knock down the scabby garage that was there

garagebefore.jpg

Then had this one built but still had no way of getting to it so......

garage-justbuilt.jpg

I built a drive, and seeded it with grass seeds so now it looks like the rest of the garden but can be driven down with out killing the grass.

drive.jpg

With the garage and drive complete I could finally get the pug in there :)

This weekend I started to pull her apart ready to take the engine out, so this is were I m as of today.

P1000652-1.jpg

This rebuild will be quite long winded and have a few ideas I want to use.

hcmini1989

What type of dog is that?.

• Like 1

Rolando

are you going highboost??? i'm in the middle of building mine to highboost spec :ph34r:

damien

any idea what the knocking is/was? how many miles did you cover after the converstion?

tidypug

Mini the dogs originally from greece, but think he's a pointer boxer cross.

Rolando, no I'm not going to bother witrh high boost, I just don't see the point of having any more power in a 205. I just want to perfect the low boost setup a touch and try to get the 250 bhp some of the 306 guys manage.

Damien, I managed about 2000 hard miles before the knock, tbh I think it was a weak engine before the conversion because there was what I thought was a rattly tappet that would quiet down after a bit of a run so wonder if there is a problem with oil not getting to some of the engine. I'm going to take the engine apart to see whats at fault but I think its either litte ends or big ends.

welshpug

Doubt its little ends as there's no bush IIRC, they're shrink fit like 8v rods not push in like MI16, there's lots of quite tired gti6's about these days!

Rolando

you can never have too much power in a 205 :lol:

whats yours putting out? 241bhp? whats the 264bhp in your signature? mines running 249.8 or something like that.

did you ever find when your out in it you had to have at least half a tank of fuel otherwise you got fuel surge when you put your foot down?

Spiky

thought you never had a sc 205, and had sold all the parts?

nice to see anoth sc'd 205, need to get mine on the rollers :)

tidypug

As I have the house now, I have to limit what I spend on the pug so high boost isn't really an option.

I've not had any issues with fuel surge either Rolando, I just kept it filled up, which unfortunately ment quite frequent visits to the petrol station.

The different powers in my sig are what it made from different rollers. There's one around the corner from me that is way of what it is really making so thats the larger output.

Spiky, nah I could never sell her, spent way too much on her and could only make the money back if I broke her for spares, which will never happen as the sell is very clean and rot free (touches wood).

Spiky

Ah sorry, got you mixed up with easypug, sorry

Yeah, haven't lost the love for mine, had it 4 1/2 years now

Goes well on low boost, can't imagine what it would be like on high boost, maybe when I get bored of low boost I will run high boost, I am tempted to get it re mapped with a bit more boost with stock engine :)

Rolando

yeh they are thirsty, doesnt help that V power is ridiculous in price :angry:

so what are your plans for the rebuild? complete overhaul?

mines about to go pop as well, drinking water and breathing heavy hopefully she'll make it through the summer.

Spiky

Why not fit a fuel surge setup, I did 4 years ago, never ever get an issue, just something you never have to worry about again

I did 160 miles to a fuel tank and 15 litres, on track but not flat out as I was a bit noisey so 6000 ish changing

edbar

Why not fit a fuel surge setup, I did 4 years ago, never ever get an issue, just something you never have to worry about again

I did 160 miles to a fuel tank and 15 litres, on track but not flat out as I was a bit noisey so 6000 ish changing

Seem to remember your issue is lack of gauge rather than surge lol!

tidypug

what I do with it will depend on whats wrong with the motor, If its not going to be economical to repair I'll chcuk another motor in it and see how it goes.

The plan is :-

If engine is ok ish, I'll fit uprated bearings and uprated head gasket.

Re-fit the engine untilted, so will need a rewelded exhaust manifold.

Cut out the lower bar across the front of the engine bay and lower it so I can have the rad lower and run the boost pipes over the top.

Re-do the boost piping

Have a new exhaust made as its too loud

Try to tidy the engne bay as its too cluttered

Fit an oil catch tank

thats all I can think of at the minute but a fair bit to be going at

Spiky

See my thread as I lowered mine, my intercooler And rad are level with bottom of valance

Edbar, yeah need to setup my fuel gauge, but it proved my fuel setup won't give me any surge :)

2.5" exhaust? How many silencers? Who is making it?

rallyeash

spiky, i had my full exhaust made in 2.5" by torque technics. (ex maniflow guy) there in wilton near salisbury

Spiky

Can't afford 500+ dude

tidypug

The problem I have is that I still have PAS so the pump is were you would put the lowered rad, as for the exhaust, dunno were I'm going to get it made. I have a 2 or 2.5" custom system on it with a long thin middle box which I think is just a resonator and a fairly small rear box. The problem is its a exhausts uk item, the guy just didn't seem to listen to me when I asked for it to be standard sounding, its really loud and quite boomy on the motorway. Oh and to top it off they decided to put the rear box were my spare wheel would go.

Spiky

Pas Isn an issue , I'm running STD pump it's just not collected up, and running a STD 205 nissena rad, see pics in my build thread

You have to go to 2.5"

I want a middle box and a massive box under boot

I have even thought of 2.5" in middle then split at rear to two boxes and have an exit withe side, so I can get the noise down, and point downwards too

*isn't

tidypug

Thats a good idea mate, I'll have a nosey at your threas

rallyeash

mine wasnt that much, the middle box is as big as it can be to fit in the tunnel and the rear one is right from the beam to the rear bumper nearly and pretty large as there isnt much clearance from the boot floor.

in my price i also had the lower 2 part section of the manifold made which put the price up. think there around 300 or so for just an exhaust

• Like 1

Rolando

didnt you go back and have your exhaust redone when it got too loud? mines also really loud now after 1000miles.

miles sells 2.5inch complete exhausts

what about your clutch will you plan on a paddle clutch?

tidypug

just a shame your so far away donw there

rallyeash

nah never had mine redone, was 98db on the static at combe recently

Spiky

98 static is fine for Combe. Just

Ideally i want something quieter than that, and drive by under 90

I'm wondering about clutch too, I'm on a 4 yt old STD mi 16 clutch which looked brand new in jan when I checked, not sure how much sc power it's going to take though