• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Opening Vacuum Sunroof...how The Hell?

pugpete1108

the shell i bought has got a vacuum sunroof factory fit but i cant seem to open the bloody thing.

more than that i dont actually know how they even work? do they need the engine running to create a vacuum, if so how do i break th vacuum to open it.

Daviewonder

You need some vacuum to open it. When you pull the handle down the vacuum sucks the rubber seal flat. You may have lost the vacuum if any of the hoses have been taken off.

Anthony

You don't *need* vacuum to open it, but without the seal collapsed it's pretty difficult to move - especially if it's been closed for some time and the seal is "stuck" to the glass.

If the cable operated lock pins aren't opening however because the cable has snapped / come adrift, then you'll not manage to open the roof.

The way the vacuum sunroof works is pretty simple though. The glass is locked in place by a couple of locking pins just behind the appature, which are pulled away from the glass by the cable connected to the sunroof handle. The sunroof handle also operates a valve which when depressed exposes the sunroof seal to vacuum, sucking it in and away from the glass, allowing the sunroof to be easily openned. With the engine running you have a source of vacuum, and there's a small plastic tank on the passenger side of the scuttle panel that holds a small amount of vacuum to allow the roof to be open and closed a couple of times after the engine has been switched off.

There's a picture in my "Project Jalopy" thread showing the workings of the sunroof that you can't normally see.

pugpete1108

You don't *need* vacuum to open it, but without the seal collapsed it's pretty difficult to move - especially if it's been closed for some time and the seal is "stuck" to the glass.

If the cable operated lock pins aren't opening however because the cable has snapped / come adrift, then you'll not manage to open the roof.

The way the vacuum sunroof works is pretty simple though. The glass is locked in place by a couple of locking pins just behind the appature, which are pulled away from the glass by the cable connected to the sunroof handle. The sunroof handle also operates a valve which when depressed exposes the sunroof seal to vacuum, sucking it in and away from the glass, allowing the sunroof to be easily openned. With the engine running you have a source of vacuum, and there's a small plastic tank on the passenger side of the scuttle panel that holds a small amount of vacuum to allow the roof to be open and closed a couple of times after the engine has been switched off.

There's a picture in my "Project Jalopy" thread showing the workings of the sunroof that you can't normally see.

i see so vacuum is needed to open it, i though it was the other way around. i'll pull the headlining down and have a look at the pins cheers

Anthony

i see so vacuum is needed to open it, i though it was the other way around. i'll pull the headlining down and have a look at the pins cheers

As I said, whilst vacuum certainly aids opening the sunroof, it's not *needed* - but will likely need a damned good tug if it's been closed for some time.

The pins are on the upper side of the sunroof, hidden underneath the glass. There is nothing to be accessed by removing the headlining.

Personally, I'd ignore the sunroof for now, get the rest of the car built and then try the sunroof when you've got the engine running and thus vacuum to collapse the seal.

james_pug

I managed to get it open Pete just kinda pushed it up abit away from the seals and slid it back fine.

pugpete1108

Personally, I'd ignore the sunroof for now, get the rest of the car built and then try the sunroof when you've got the engine running and thus vacuum to collapse the seal.

yeah you maybe right, its just i need to remove the surrounding trim to sort out some laqeur peel on the roof and i couldnt find any screws holding the trim on so i thought they may be inside?

and james you have had it open? maybe im just being a wuss then :lol:

damien

your need to push it up (away from the seal) and slide it back, mite be worth spraying some wd40 on the seal to help slide it

pugpete1108

your need to push it up (away from the seal) and slide it back, mite be worth spraying some wd40 on the seal to help slide it

cheers mate i'll give it a try.

got them pics mate, rust looks ok. just chop it out and weld a plate in no probs.

when you get the bay cleared out let me know and i'll pop down with the welder.

Anthony

You don't need to open the roof to remove the sunroof trim :)

Two screws for the front section are above the roof console (screw that holds that on is behind the map light) and then once you've removed that carefully, making sure you don't snap it where it clips into the two side sections, you'll see the screw for each of the sides - remove that, and the whole piece slides backwards to remove it.

pugpete1108

You don't need to open the roof to remove the sunroof trim :)

Two screws for the front section are above the roof console (screw that holds that on is behind the map light) and then once you've removed that carefully, making sure you don't snap it where it clips into the two side sections, you'll see the screw for each of the sides - remove that, and the whole piece slides backwards to remove it.

aha thankyou kindly :) sunroof can stay put then