• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave205

Xu10 Locking After Rebuild

dave205

Finally put my engine together tonight, torqued the head down, locked the camshaft pulley, and crankshaft pulley with the locking holes, fitted the cambelt, turned it by hand, and it locked solid.

Removed the cambelt, both crankshaft and camshaft turn free'ly on there own.

I,ve put a different 1.9gti cam in it, thought that may be the problem, so changed it to the standard one, but still no difference, and im completely lost, the only things to change are:

Head's been skimmed, cleaning skim.

new cambelt

New water pump.

Just wondering if any one's got any idea's,??

Tom Fenton

Either the timing is wrong (are you using a solid crank pulley, not a rubber type that can slip?)

Or as happened to me once, something has got inside the engine and is locking up when you try and turn it over.

dave205

crank pully is solid tom, and is locked. I only put it together last week, and havent been in the shed since, so its unlikey anything has gone in there. im puzzled :/

dave205

One other quick thing, are these engines at tdc when the crankshaft is locked?

Mikey S

post removed.

Edited by pugger

Miles

No they are not at TDC, all the pistons are half mast inthe bores to avoid any valve contact with belt changes, Only the TU engine is at TDC when the flywheels locked

dave205

post removed.

what?

dave205

No they are not at TDC, all the pistons are half mast inthe bores to avoid any valve contact with belt changes, Only the TU engine is at TDC when the flywheels locked

Thats uselfull to know because if i lock the crankshaft and turn the camshaft over it will clear everytime then.

welshpug

so its not a camshaft issue, have you tried removing the cam and turning the crank over?

dave205

so its not a camshaft issue, have you tried removing the cam and turning the crank over?

Didnt try it, so thats one to try tommorow :)

Anthony

Perhaps slightly obvious, but if you've replaced the waterpump, you have checked that turns freely haven't you?

I know on alloy block 8v's if you fit an iron block pump it won't turn, and that would have the effect of making the engine unable to rotate with the cambelt fitted, but the cam and bottom end to be free to rotate on their own. Not quite sure what pump would have the same effect in an iron block engine, but worth double-checking.

The other obvious question is you are using the right holes to time the engine up with aren't you? You'd have to get it pretty badly wrong though on an 8v as there's so much piston-valve clearance compared to 16v XU engines, but again, I've seen people manage to get it spectacularly wrong before now....

dave205

Waterpump turns freely by hand. Theres only to 1 timing hole on each pulley, so can't see how that would be wrong?

Perhaps slightly obvious, but if you've replaced the waterpump, you have checked that turns freely haven't you?

I know on alloy block 8v's if you fit an iron block pump it won't turn, and that would have the effect of making the engine unable to rotate with the cambelt fitted, but the cam and bottom end to be free to rotate on their own. Not quite sure what pump would have the same effect in an iron block engine, but worth double-checking.

The other obvious question is you are using the right holes to time the engine up with aren't you? You'd have to get it pretty badly wrong though on an 8v as there's so much piston-valve clearance compared to 16v XU engines, but again, I've seen people manage to get it spectacularly wrong before now....

dave205

I,ve had some time to have another look at my engine this morning, still geting no were!!

I removed the rocker cover, and watched what valves our down/open when the engine locks, the inlet and exhuast valves on the cylinder number 1, (nearest flywheel) were down when it locked so it must be these causing the problem i assume?

pugpete1108

id say a timing issue surely? like previously said remove both cams and then try, if it still locks then something has got in one of the cylinders.

have you pulled the plugs? and tried

stebbs

I had the same sort of issue, albeit xu9. One of my big end bearings wasn't happy. Undid them all a little, nipped back up and sorted mine. Cheers

dave205

I had the same sort of issue, albeit xu9. One of my big end bearings wasn't happy. Undid them all a little, nipped back up and sorted mine. Cheers

Dont think it could be that, its locks on all cylinders, wenever the valves are down.

smithy

Only thing left to check is removing cams and trying to do a few revolutions of crank as already suggested.

On vaux 16v engines it is possible to fit sprockets wrong as both cams use same sprocket but the dowel has a choice of 2 keyways depending if inlet or ex. Is this something that can happen on pug 16v engines?

smithy

Apologies thought it was a 16v but have just realised it is a 8v,

woodymi16

Have you checked the cambelt is the correct item?

dave205

Thing ive cracked it tonight!!

Removed the camshaft as suggested, the crankshaft winds over fine, so nothing dropped in there!

Put the cam back in and happened to notice a white tipex mark on the pulley, it was approximately 120 degrees further round from the locking hole in pulley, i lined this up with the locking hole on the head, fitted the cambelt, timed it up wound it over by hand, and it didnt lock anywhere??

How can the timing hole in the camshaft pulley be wrong? im baffled?!!!

smithy

as you have already tried 2 cams and both were the same i would hazard a guess and say the sproket could be wrong off a different engine maybe???

before starting i would make sure the cam lobes are in correct position when it is timed up,if you want i can have a look at the spare 1.9 i have in my garage and let you know what position lobes are in when it is locked?

on nights so not able to check until tomorrow will post up what i find.

dave205

Resurecting an old thread here!!

Had my conversion running a couple of weeks back, timing was out though and ive only just got round to sorting it. Bought a standard gti crankshaft pulley, tried all 5 timing holes and it eventually got it right on the 5th hole i think, i'll take it for a spin tommorow and see. Are the gti pulleys the same as the turbo one's with regard to the timing holes?

welshpug

5 timing holes?! there's only 2!

dave205

This ones been attacked then! I'll take some pics and email them over see what think of them?

welshpug

pop them on photobucket or flickr :)

Sign in to follow this