• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Carl Chambers

[trackday_prep] Track Car Tidy Up An Tweaks

Carl Chambers

Well my miami 205 track has been built for over 3 years now and a few things needed doing and a few parts needed tidying

So first was engine out, rust treat and repaint engine bay. Fitted new clutch and a gearbox that wont crunch I hope, plus finally fitted my Quaife LSD.

006-3.jpg

007-3.jpg

The header tank and heater box has now all gone and a 106 GTi rad fitted so hopefully it will cool it enough still, new Mocal oil cooler;

008-2.jpg

New Compbrake rose jointed 309 wishbone and shafts, braided hoses, and new Bilstien shocks.

Then my home brewed fibre glass Auto bonnet with T16 vent which is a x-sport auto hump grafted on a Shenpar bonnet with a vent cut in.

004.jpg

As I had no luck finding a Dimma rear panel, I made my own T16 style rear grille, which took a lot of time to get right and I destroyed 3 front grilles doing it, its still not perfect but it looks ok,

001-4.jpg

003-3.jpg

002-3.jpg

Edited by GKZ 206

Carl Chambers

A fibre glass tailgate will be added and cut to suit.

Front valance and bumper cut to aid cooling and again in T16 style;

004-3.jpg

005-3.jpg

Carl Chambers

Then the bit I had been dreading, the roof!

This car when I first got it came with the factory sunroof, so I cut a roof skin from a scrap non sunroof 205 and grafted in on. This was put on top of the old one for ease mainly but this did mean now it had 2 roof shins instead of just one! This didnt bother me at the time but now as less wieght is free power and the fact that I found out later the body shop I took it to let the roof get wet for 2 days with no primer or protection, despite may strongly asking them to keep it inside or cover it up. So all the welds got rust and the rust has now blistered through the paint as they most not have cleaned all the rust off before painting, idiots!

So the plan now is remove the old skins and add a carbon fibre roof skin sheet, so angle grinder out and off they came;

009.jpg

010.jpg

this is where Im at now so as soon as the carbon goes on I will post pics up.

Edited by GKZ 206

stu8v

Whats the dimensions on the rad? Its looks a good setup.

Arahan

Awesome mate! Love the rear T16 style grille! No pics with a boot then I'm guessing? Would be good to see what it looked like!

Carl Chambers

Whats the dimensions on the rad? Its looks a good setup.

its just a standard 106 GTi rad hopefully it should be good!

Carl Chambers

Awesome mate! Love the rear T16 style grille! No pics with a boot then I'm guessing? Would be good to see what it looked like!

no not cut the boot yet wanted to get the grille right first before cutting it!

Carl Chambers

Ok the roof! why do I have these clever/stupid ideas! lol, the rear stuck down fine and left that a day to set;

002-5.jpg

003-5.jpg

end just needs trimming, but the front was a complete mare! Everyone said yeah 1mm carbon will bend fine, if not just heat it a bit! well heating didnt really work as the gel started to bubble and no it wasnt too hot! But do to the roof being curved 2 ways it was hard to bend it flat, lots of clamps and a valve spring compresser even came in handy!!!!;

004-5.jpg

001-5.jpg

We will see tomorrow how it turns out if I dare take the clamps off!

Henry Yorke

Daft as it sounds, when you refit the windscreen, I'd put in a sunroof screen rubber to reduce the chances of air / water getting under the front edge at speed

calvinhorse

looking good mr chambers

Carl Chambers

Daft as it sounds, when you refit the windscreen, I'd put in a sunroof screen rubber to reduce the chances of air / water getting under the front edge at speed

I was kind of hoping it would tuck under the windscreen rubber but after today Im not so sure that will happen!

It still got the rubber from when it had a sunroof anyway so no problem there.

looking good mr chambers

mochyndu

That looks soooo sweet........keep it up :)

Ben_M

Thats looking great Carl. Keep the updates coming.

Top work as always

Carl Chambers

Well the roof is not too bad and hopefully the screen will cover up most of the wobbles along the front, had to support the middle with some carbon rods to stop it flexing too miuch;

006-4.jpg

005-5.jpg

Heater and half the dash is now gone, and engine electric cut off fitted, the heated rear screen switch will now be used for the heated front screen thats going in in case you were wondering.

003-7.jpg

A swirl pot has been fitted to stop me needing to have more the half a tank of fuel as to not get fuel starvation.

second fuel pump was needed and a race battery was also fitted to keep weight down;

004-7.jpg

tonester84

Hi really like the carbon sheet for the roof. Looks good against the Miami blue. Where a bouts is the carbon sheet from and what was used to bond it on? Thanks

Carl Chambers

Think it came from Carbon mods, and I stuck it down with stick-a-flex.

tonester84

Was thinking of doing the same to mine instead of changing the whole roof skin. Looks like a nice project u have there, what kind of money was the carbon if u don't mind me askin?

Carl Chambers

Was thinking of doing the same to mine instead of changing the whole roof skin. Looks like a nice project u have there, what kind of money was the carbon if u don't mind me askin?

Was around £250 for a sheet but it was a large sheel and I have lots left, not enough for another roof sadly.

barry d

looking great carl.any more updates? :)

lukegroves_123

Nice looking project you've got there. I'm in the middle of a miami gti6 track conversion myself. Interesting to see the carbon sheet for the roof. Do you have any pics of the underside of the roof? Might look into the a similar idea for replacing my sunroof.

Did your car suffer much with fuel starvation before the swirl pot was fitted?

Sorry for all the questions! :blink: Just getting an idea of what mine might be like and any future issues!

Carl Chambers

Nice looking project you've got there. I'm in the middle of a miami gti6 track conversion myself. Interesting to see the carbon sheet for the roof. Do you have any pics of the underside of the roof? Might look into the a similar idea for replacing my sunroof.

Did your car suffer much with fuel starvation before the swirl pot was fitted?

Sorry for all the questions! :blink: Just getting an idea of what mine might be like and any future issues!

the roof was cut around the strenghtening box sections that are around the roof, so with the carbon sheet on the roof look just the same as the standard roof does, apart from 3 carbon rods going across to add some strenght and stop it saging! I sprayed the underside satin black aswell so make it look better.

the sad news is that I may be breaking this car to fund going racing in my 306 BTCC, and to rob some parts to build my yellow 306 into a spare race car/track car. Sadly this 205 wont go into the race series I want to go in as the engine is not standard.

it will break my heart to do it but space and money is tight so it will have to be done, so if you are interested in any parts or the shell please let me know.

Edited by Carl Chambers

Carl Chambers

Now for sale, and all parts.

See thread here for more details.

Edited by Anthony

Carl Chambers

Well after trying to sell this car as a whole thing minus its engine, it was broken up and the cage, seats etc sold off making more money than the whole shell was for sale for!

But that left me with a nice shell doing nothing, so after getting a 5 door 1.1 205 and only doing 1 mile to work every day in my 406 V6 which was costing a bomb the idea started and the 1.1 was reshelled into the miami shell making a cheap to run work van!

Here are a few pictures!

003-34.jpg

004-33.jpg

outside is still the same still with the carbon roof but inside is totally different! 1.1 dash and seats

002-37.jpg

and rear all panelled out as a proper van;

001-37.jpg

the 1.1 power house! its not really that bad goes quite well but as said Im only a 1 mile from home to work most of which is in 30mph speed limits. 4 speed and a choke mind you takes getting used to!

005-30.jpg

now using GTi running gears and GTI-6 brakes, made mating the driveshafts interesting! luckly the 306 GTi6 shafts are hollow and the 1.1 are solid and almost the same size, so a same spacer to hold them square and they were welded together,

006-29.jpg

so it stops better than it goes with rear discs and GTi-6 front brakes!

another problem with a GTi front subframe and a TU engine was the exhaust needed to go where the gear linkage sits, so simple solution was;

008-18.jpg

007-21.jpg

front side exit exhaust lorry style, its a bit strange as all the noise comes from the front but you get used to it.

so she live on in a different life to before but I have had this car the longest, since 2003 so it would be sad to have got rid of it, now its a proper works van!

would love to get a multi van rear for it but they are hard to find now!