• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kieran133

1.6 Gti Wont Start

Kieran133

Hello all,

Long time since I posted but regularly read.

Got a problem I cant solve on my own so thought I would ask advice from those in the know.

Basically I rolled my track based 1.6 Gti and have reshelled it. The new car ran over the bank holiday for about 30mins in 2 sessions, returned home and went in the garage.

Brought it out over last weekend added a few cable ties in the engine bay and tidied some wiring tried to turn it over and it wouldnt fire.

Left it alone and tried again monday night and it fired up after I have removed the fuel pressure regulator (it seemed like it was overfueling) but cut almost immediately, I then removed the swirl pot and aux fuel pump and it ran and ticks over but when the throttle is opened the engine cuts.

Had another go tonight changed the airflow meter, the ECU and checked all the wiring I had disturbed and now it turns over but wont fire!!!!!!

I have a spark (seems a little small but not sure) I have plugs that are black and sooty and wet with fuel (but I expect thats because its been churning over and not firing).

I assume it could be a wiring problem but I cant work out how to diagnose any further I also cant understand what could have failed whilst sitting in the garage - after 4 weeks rebuilding the car this is a bit crap :( so any help would be appreciated.

ORB

Ignition amp dead/dying?

adie205

Sounds stupid but back to basics, might be an electrical gremlim?

clean all earths, strip clean all mulitplugs (open clean and bend conectors) and check cables that have been cable tired

Well worth a go.

Kieran133

Sounds stupid but back to basics, might be an electrical gremlim?

clean all earths, strip clean all mulitplugs (open clean and bend conectors) and check cables that have been cable tired

Well worth a go.

Hi Guys thanks to both for your advice, I keep thinking it must be electrical but we have checked pretty much everything even buzzing out the AFM, as rumor has it that is the only control over the amount of fuel.

It seems that its overfueling as if I disconnect the fuel feed it starts and even revs a little with just the fuel in the rail.

does anyone know if my tachiometric relay could have gone as that is the only thing that I have not changed.

Could that have gone and fuel still be injecting?

I have changed the coil pack thingy.

Any further pointers, advice......

Sign in to follow this