• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RobH

Xu Starting Problems

RobH

My GTi has been sitting for a few years but I have always started it up regularly.

However it has been getting harder to start and now won't run for more than 30s or so.

I want to try and get it back on the road this year. I wondered if someone could point me in what to renew in order to get it back to health.

Trying to Start -

Running but Dieing -

I also get a bit of white smoke from the air filter after a few attempts. Could this be water in the crankcase as discussed here? - http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=119986

Be grateful for any advice.

Pugs in Pieces

may sound stupid but has the fuel been changed? maybe its gone stale.

RobH

may sound stupid but has the fuel been changed? maybe its gone stale.

As it's been started it had burnt through the small amount of fuel that was in the tank. When the low fuel indicator came on recently, I added another gallon or so.

So I thought it would be OK unless theres some really old stuff still in the system.

Do you think draining the tank would help?

Mikey S

As it's been started it had burnt through the small amount of fuel that was in the tank. When the low fuel indicator came on recently, I added another gallon or so.

So I thought it would be OK unless theres some really old stuff still in the system.

Do you think draining the tank would help?

if its not been driven its not getting up too temperature and its probably fouling the plugs up. i'd try replacing them and giving it a good service first then go from there. i also see you have an fse fuel pressure regulator. is that wound up too tight so its overfuelling? does in emit lots of black smoke when it eventually starts? i'd personally junk it in favour of an original pressure regulator.

white smoke out of the airfilter is probably being caused by a backfire, again more than likely too much fuel or ignition timing is out.

mike

smithy

as above i would start with the basics as the car has been stood for a few years.

starting up once in a while will not get it hot enough to stop plugs fouling etc.

new plugs,filters and oil and make sure dizzy cap and rotor are good.

even though low fuel light was on there will still be some old stale fuel in system unless you ran it until it emptied the tank? i would also add another gallon or 2 of fresh super just to make sure fuel coming up has enough octane.

Sign in to follow this