• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
backroadpug

Gti Carpet Cleaning

backroadpug

Hi all I currently have all my interior out of my GTI to clean the carpet.

The carpet is actually still in quite good condition with a few little marks but want to get it back to like new.

What products have every one else used and to what outcome?

Cheers Richard

Obey_R

I used the polski's at my local hand car wash!

Anthony

I removed mine from the car, hung it up and hosed it down, before scrubbing it clean with a stiff brush and Fairy Liquid(!) and then thoroughly rinsing it through.

Before:

IMG_3913.sized.jpg

After:

IMG_3942.sized.jpg

The pictures really don't do credit for just how much dirt and grime came out of the carpet.

SurGie

There's nothing quite as good or as easy as using a carpet washer that uses warm water and some of the good carpet shampoo, thats if you can borrow one from somewhere that is.

backroadpug

Looks good Anthony. Might have to remove the carpet and give that a try. Does the carpet not bobble using a stiff brush?

Anthony

Well, I used a brush from a dustpan/brush set and that didn't bobble the carpet - I guess it might do if you used a really stiff brush, but that's your call.

SurGie

If you used very warm water but not hot a stiff brush wont be needed as the warm water will help get the dirt/stains out, much like a washing machine does.

Pugleyrich

I tried to get my carpet out for a clean last year but couldn't manage to get it out! How do you remove the lower part of the centre console? Mine was still attached somehow after removing the obvious screws.

SurGie

I took mine out the other day.

There are two nuts that need to be undone under where the stereo would be as well as all the other nuts around the obvious places. Then carefully lift the gear stick area upwards while pulling towards your self with a bit of a wiggle movement.

Careful when lifting the upper dash part away from the bottom bit you are trying to take out, so those bolts come free from the upper plastic holes.

Hope this helps.

Edited by SurGie

GLPoomobile

I've cleaned a couple of carpets - one gren and one red - out of the car like Anthony describes. I was a little more thorough in my method though

1) Vacuum it

2) Hang it up and beat the dirt out of it by using a trainer against the back of it. You'll be amazed at how much dirt will become airbourne!

3) Vacuum it again

4) Hose it down

5) While damp, dump whatever cleaning products you have all over it - in my case I used washing powder and fabric softner (for the smell), and stain remover (such as Shout) for the bad bits

6) Scrub with a stiff brush (no, it didn't cause bobbling)

7) Hose it down

Repeat the scrubbing stages for any awkward stains. Unless you've got anything really bad like oil stains, you should find it'll come up really nice, with only thinning/wear showing the carpets age afterwards.

A word of warning - I mentioned beating the carpet with a trainer above. You can use anything, but take care. I can't remember what I was using but on one of the carpets I beat too hard and put a split in it :rolleyes: . That should not happen if you are using a soft soled trainer and being sensible. And I really do recommend getting as much dirt out like this before the cleaning stage as you are less likely to increase wear and damage through scrubbing the abrasive dirt around the carpet fibers as you clean.

Daviewonder

I've done several of my carpets in exactly the same way as Anthony describes (Fairy liquid n all) and it never fails to bring them up like new :)

smithy

i bought a carpet off ebay last year as mine was missing and to be honest it was minging,i lay it down in garden and soaked with hot water and washing liquid scrubbed with a soft broom,to finish off i used the karcher with hot water going to it to rinse off came up a treat.

Pugleyrich

I took mine out the other day.

There are two nuts that need to be undone under where the stereo would be as well as all the other nuts around the obvious places. Then carefully lift the gear stick area upwards while pulling towards your self with a bit of a wiggle movement.

Careful when lifting the upper dash part away from the bottom bit you are trying to take out, so those bolts come free from the upper plastic holes.

Hope this helps.

Thanks SurGie, those were the fixings that I must have missed. I will have another go at it once the car is back from its MOT. Apologies to the OP for the slight thread hijack. I did have a go at cleaning the carpet whilst in the car using a Vax, but it didnt come up very well.

backroadpug

Thanks every one for the replys looks like the carpet will be coming out.

Cheers Richard

backroadpug

Hi all so I removed my carpet and cleaned it prity impressed on how it came out!

Thanks all for the info.

Step 1 Removed carpet

Step 2 Gave the carpet a good beating(lol) and vacuumed

Step 3 Fill a bucket with hot water, fairy and washing powder

Step 4 Soak carpet and give carpet a good scrub(I used a micro fibre sponge)

Step 5 Rinsed carpet with hot water

Step 6 Scrub carpet with fabric conditioner rinse carpet again

Step 7 Once dry vacuum and re- fit

Step 8 Go over carpet with a soft brush

Before and after pics.

carpet.jpg

carpet1.jpg

• Like 1

ORB

Diesel powered hot wash and some G101 - nothing will beat this method!

SurGie

That looks brand new well done :)

Nothing like hot water to get it clean and using washing powder is a good idea. I think ill use some of that Vanish pink stuff as well, loads of bubble to get the 20 years of dirt out.

jord294

i've not had a 205 for a while, but are they supposed to have underlay/soundproofing under the carpet

cheers

ORB

Yes, that shredded foamy stuff

Sinbad

I used a rug doctor hired from morrisons,its brought it up like new-highly recommended!!