• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
McCann

205 Rear Window Removal

McCann

any tips on how to do this yourself? not really worried about keeping the seal but would like to keep the window as intact as possible.

thanks

omega

any tips on how to do this yourself? not really worried about keeping the seal but would like to keep the window as intact as possible.

thanks

start inside at a corner and peel the rubber back at the same time press outwards on the glass,take your time and you will be okay if you have a mate to help its easier when you but it back in you need some good string to but in the rubber then by pulling on the string it flips the rubber into place.

Daviewonder

The rear window is bonded in on a 205. You can probably cut it out using one of those wire cutters that windscreen fitters use.

omega

start inside at a corner and peel the rubber back at the same time press outwards on the glass,take your time and you will be okay if you have a mate to help its easier when you but it back in you need some good string to but in the rubber then by pulling on the string it flips the rubber into place.

oops sorry read it wrong thats for the front

jimbob

are window seals still available from dealers?

welshpug

ask a dealer...

Andy_C

I paid a local screen company to take mine out. Glass intact, new edge trim from dealer. It needs cutting out as it's bonded in.

mrfirepro

The rear window is bonded in as others have said and there is a cover/trim piece that finishes it off. It's not a seal but mostly decorative.

Here's how I removed mine and , unlike the front I didn't break it.

Made a few wooden wedges. I started off in the middle of one of the sides, using a thin flexible knife to cut away the seal between glass and tailgate, when I got through the first 3-4 inches I'd inset one of the wedges to keep outward pressure on the glass, this made the cutting much easier. When the first side was complete I inserted a couple of wedges which made the cutting of the top and bottom nice and easy. Was a bit of a pig but whole process took around 25mins.

Be careful with the knife around the demister element as scraping it will render it useless (I put tape over mine)

Edited by mrfirepro

Daviewonder

Made a few wooden wedges.

Dismantled clothes pegs?

farmer

Dave

Don't upset Paul, his wife wears the trousers and if she found out about him taking the pegs he'd be in big trouble

mrfirepro

what with car parts in the dishwasher, makeshift spray booth in the shower, car parts store room in the lounge, oh and I used her best washing up sponge for something....., the pegs would be the final straw....

Shes already threatened to drive the resto...definite grounds for divorce (unreasonable behavior, her not me....)

farmer

Never mix business with pleasure folks.

The above makes that crystal clear.

jimbob

Thanks for advice guys im not planning to keep rear window as needs replacing is it easier to break to remove or still easier to take out as a whole?

Tom Fenton

Sharp flexible blade knife and its easy enough to cut it out. I'd rather spend the extra 10 mins cutting it out than 20 mins hoovering up bits of broekn glass (and you never get them all!)

jimbob

Thanks Tom