• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
LaurieGTI

205 1.6 Gti Rally Car.

LaurieGTI

Well heres to a fresh progress thread for my newly acquired 205 GTi.

Background history first of all;

For many years i've been into Rallying, having worked for the Mitsubishi WRC team back in the day when Burns and Mäkinen were the drivers.

Since then i've had experience with co-driving up until 6 years ago when I bought a Fiesta XR2i to use in stage Rallying for a bit of fun and as a hobby with my eldest daughter taking on the role of co-driver.

We had reasonable success for 3 years of rallying, however the last 3 years the Fiesta sat unused due to home improvements and other committments.

QUE 2010 - The desire to begin Rallying again was back and the Fiesta went for an MOT, promptly failing on a few basic points combined with the hassle of the dreaded emissions (Twin weber carb conversion didnt help).

I share a garage unit along with my son-in-law and 2 of his mates who are well into their Peugeot's and Citroens. Having had a discussion with them regarding the car and servicing for up and coming Rally's the decision was made to sell up and take the leap onto the French side, partly to take advantage of their skills and knowledge with small French hatchbacks in particular 106, Saxo, Ax and of course the 205.

April 2011 - The beginning

The Fiesta had been in Class B (Over 1400cc and upto 1600cc) which is quite a popular class, frequently being dominated at the time that I last Rallied by 205's which the Fiesta simply couldnt match for power regardless of its overall decent handing.

The hunt began and eventually a J Reg 205 1.6 GTi was viewed.

laurie205adpic.jpg

The car has a very long history in various competitions, and has clearly over the years had alot of money put into it.

Spec included at the time of sale/purchase;

MSA logbooked

Fully seam welded shell

Weld in safety devices roll cage including front triangulation,

Bilsteins coilovers on the front

Billie Rear dampers (black capped)

Rose jointed adjustable wishbones

Compbrake top mounts

Polycarb side windows,

Quaife diff (Original 1.6 gearbox),

Standard 1600cc engine other than K&N induction

Cobra Imola Seats

Luke Belts

306 GTi6 283mm calipers with EBC Yellow stuff pads

306 GTi6 Master cylinder

New brake lines and Hel Performance stainless steel front flex hoses and connectors.

Upright hydraulic h/brake,

Brake/Fuel lines routed inside car

Alloy Sump/ Tank guard,

Extinguishers (lifeline)

Wilwood Brake bias valve

Helmet Box

Terratrip Intercomm

Push button start

Forest washer arm conversion

Dual starter circuit on dash switch.

Rose jointed gearshift.

57i K&N air filter

Magnecor Competition Spark Plug Cable Set 8.5mm

Sparco steering wheel.

These are some of the main bits plucked out from the ad. There was a massive amount of spare parts included within the sale (enough to fill a Mercedes Sprinter van)

So the funds were exchanged and the car was bought back.

Its clear that the car has completed a number of forest stages with a whole host of battle scars and general beatings to panelss. All cosmetic which can be exchanged for straighter panels over time however its been used for the sole purpose of Rallying so being pretty isnt its game.

Pics from when it was back in the garage;

laurie205gti013.jpg

laurie205gti012.jpg

laurie205gti008.jpg

laurie205gti006.jpg

laurie205gti005.jpg

laurie205gti004.jpg

laurie205gti003.jpg

laurie205gti001.jpg

laurie205gti015.jpg

Thats all for now.

There has been alot done to the car already since purchase and it did successfully complete its first Rally on the 16th April at the D'Isis stages at MIRA. With it being a newly acquired car it took a bit of getting used to and getting a feel to its characteristics but im very confident that itll be a great car and with a bit more money spent on it in the engine department should be very competitive within its class

Rally of the Midlands in June were hoping to be its next event.

brumster

Hi Laurie - Dan here... you will find this forum an invaluable source of knowledge for your new 205 ownership experience ;) have fun!

bensonmi

any updates on this??

matt.f

Looks a nice car,awaiting more updates