• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
patpug

Xu10J4Rs Oil Pumping From Head

patpug

Hi gtidrivers - first post,

Have searched using google but no luck;

I've very nearly finished my 205gti6 conversion but I turned her over for the first time to get the oil pressure up and oil (lots!) came out of here on the head:

IMG_1672.JPG

IMG_1670.JPG

Less oil came out the same place on the exhaust side from behind the vaccuum pump. I've looked at lots of pics and most of these engines don't have the threaded holes that I have on my head. Do you think that it's ok to just plug them with a bolt and some sealer or is it more serious - ie something missing from the head?

The head was rebuilt before fitting the '6' engine in the car.

Thanks,

Pat

Cameron

I'd just plug it up! Whatever used to be there you clearly don't need, so I wouldn't worry about it.

smithy

not sure about your particular set up but i have first hand experience of the french making bolt holes that are directly in to oil galleries and need a bolt to seal iy up.

recently done a head gasket on a 1.9d renault kangoo and forgot to put in one of the timing cover bolts,it just so happened it secured in to oil pump casing and needed the bolt in it to seal,same thing on the gti engine where oil filler neck secures to inlet manifold not an oil leak but does suck un metered air in to manifold.

as said get a bolt and plug the hole just make sure the bolt is not too long as you dont want to damage anything inside the head,there was probably a bracket or something bolted on to it at some point.

patpug

Thanks for the replies,

Sounds like plugging up with a bolt is the answer and yes - very odd to have a bolt hole directly into an oil gallery!

Bit tricky behind the vacuum pump though as the hole is half covered by the pump housing so no room for a bolt head. Any suggestions for getting around this?

Ta,

Pat

Cameron

Can you get a grub screw in there with some Loctite 270? That should stop it from ever working loose.

Failing that, cut the head off a bolt then put a slot in the end so you can wind it in with a screwdriver, but definitely use high strength threadlock (270).

patpug

Can you get a grub screw in there with some Loctite 270? That should stop it from ever working loose.

Failing that, cut the head off a bolt then put a slot in the end so you can wind it in with a screwdriver, but definitely use high strength threadlock (270).

Yup, liking the bolt with a slot idea, thanks.

welshpug

grub screw ftw :P

I'll have a look on servicebox or one of my spare RS heads later if I remember :)

Mikey S

isnt that were the engine lifting eye is bolted?

welshpug

isnt that were the engine lifting eye is bolted?

naah, they bolt to the front face.

PICT0176.jpg

Mad Scientist

On my engine that is a brass blank. Looks the same on Welshpugs pic. On yours it looks like it may have an Allen key female in it? Or it's been drilled?

I suspect it's a blank inserted after the casting and machining process.

Can you give some more details?

Pete

patpug

grub screw ftw :P

I'll have a look on servicebox or one of my spare RS heads later if I remember :)

I've had a look on service box and not had much luck - the engine is out of a Xsara VTS if that makes any difference but I thought they were identical. Maybe Cit has something else bolted on here but that doesn't explain the exhaust side being behind the vacuum pump which made my think that there must be something missing / wrong on the inside of the head which is a little more serious.

On my engine that is a brass blank. Looks the same on Welshpugs pic. On yours it looks like it may have an Allen key female in it? Or it's been drilled?

I suspect it's a blank inserted after the casting and machining process.

Can you give some more details?

Pete

It's not a great photo - sorry - there is still oil in the hole making it look a bit like an allen head. It's a steel plug which has been drilled and tapped with a 6mm thread, same on both the intake and exhaust sides. Looks like it's been done in the factory though. I can get a plastic zip tie and push it in the hole and it goes in all the way! Thats at least 100mm and it's still not bottoming out!

The intake side shown in the photo is an easy fix if there's nothing wrong on the inside - 6mm allen head, loctite and copper washer. The exhaust side is half covered by the vacuum pump so no room for a bolt head, hence the grub screw idea - I'm just hoping that the loctite will both keep it secure and seal from the oil as there is nothing for the screw to tighten against.

It's nervous work starting a new engine for the first time - let alone having oil pissing out the head!! At least I know it's got oil pressure :-)

Thanks,

Pat

24seven

I noticed this hole looking at my engine today after reading this and it just appears to have been plugged up by a brass blank as Pete says above. Mine came from a Xsara VTS too. unsure.gif

Sign in to follow this