• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tomcolinjones

3 Row S16/mi16 Loom Into 205 Gti

tomcolinjones

Hello forum members.

I have a few questions regarding my mi16/s16 405 engine and loom. (fitting to my ph2 205 sorrento 1.6 gti)

Which pats of the 8v loom do i get rid of? do I only need the wires from the ignition barrell and the clocks? and then fit my 16v 3row ecu and loom and run ignition wires to the loom? and plug in the guage wires to existing sensors?

I have searched for wiring diagrams, but it apears the web page it was on is no longer available.

Thank you for your time.

Tom

welshpug

you dont touch any of the ignition switch wires, search for brown multiplugs, there'll be two near the steering column on your car.

you need to remove all the jetronic wiring, and any old and corroded sensor and auxillary wiring, e.g starter solenoid wire, then add the Motronic wiring, pretty straightforward really.

tomcolinjones

you dont touch any of the ignition switch wires, search for brown multiplugs, there'll be two near the steering column on your car.

you need to remove all the jetronic wiring, and any old and corroded sensor and auxillary wiring, e.g starter solenoid wire, then add the Motronic wiring, pretty straightforward really.

Would it be best for me to pull all the wiring through the bulkhead? and sort it out inside the car? I shall go hunting for the brown plugs in a second.

I have disconnected a small loom from the actual loom and it had a large ish brown multi plug with blue, yellow, beige, purple, brown, red and grey wires... this i think is for the dash guages and lights? and the rest can be binned?

Please excuse me welshpug, i think im having a brain f@rt today. i can usualy get my head around things :wacko:

tomcolinjones

Right, I have found the plugs and i think i understand now!

The two brown multi plugs are from ignition and the clocks, and the rest goes to the ecu? and it is the 'rest' i need to get rid of! :)

ECU is now out, how much of the dash will i have to take out to get rid of the wiring?

And which bits can i take out of the 405 loom to trim it down a bit? what about the large round plugs?

Edited by tomcolinjones

welshpug

cut the round plugs off and join the wiring to the brown plugs of the 205 loom.

tomcolinjones

just found this! http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=70603

So just to confirm, i need to cut the round (brown and black) plugs off the mi16 loom, and match them up with the 205 loom that goes into the two rectangle brown multiplugs under the steering column?

Is there any need to take the loom out? or can i solder them up in the engine bay to save work? and cut away the jetronic wiring?

Thanks fro your help

Anthony

Do the job properly and remove the Jetronic loom from the car and strip out what you don't need.

Effectively all you're keeping is the sensor loom, ignition (red 2A), fuel pump (white 74), and rev counter (grey 112) wires which all come off those two underdash brown multiplugs. If your car has the wire in place for the engine check light (being a Phase 2 it should do) then wire this up as well as it'll help with diagnosing issues in the future.

Make sure that you fully understand exactly what you're doing and triple check before cutting anything!

tomcolinjones

Thanks anthony!

Rite, I am left with lots of useless wire, and 2 brown plugs. one left in theh car with a yellow and something else going to the fuel pump i think, and about a metre of remainding wires. and the other has a metre of wire left ready for hoining up to the 405 loom.

Hopefuly all i have to do is follow the guide to match up the wires, connect it up to the engine, plug in an unlocked ecu and it should start?

tomcolinjones

Im starting to wire up the mi16 loom to the 205 brown plugs but the guide i found has the wrong numbers, or different wire numbers to my 405 loom.

I have a large round black plug with 18 wired going into it, and a brown one with 1 wire

Some of the wires from the brown plug are....

220 yellow, 429 green, 0127 yellow, 121 white, 8081 red.

How can i tell which wire goes to the corresponding wire on the 205 plugs?

petert

No, no, no. Attached are pin outs for the three Mi16 plugs at end of loom, and the two 205 multiplugs which live near the heater pipes under the dash. All you have to match up are the seven wires which go to the 7 pin multiplug near the alternator/starter motor under the inlet manifold on a 205.

Edit: just noticed you said S16 at the start! I was thinking 3 row 1.9L Mi16.

post-2864-0-42117300-1302694583_thumb.jpg

post-2864-0-13339900-1302694607_thumb.jpg

Edited by petert

tomcolinjones

Thank you for trying to help PeterT :)

Right, after cutting the two round plugs off the wires, 7 '2' pin plugs have become loose from the loom. and there are 3 more 2 pin plugs left on the loom because they use the shared earth, also 2 '3' pin plugs are left

If someone could tell me where they go, i can make up my loom i think :D

The 7 plugs that are loose are

1. blue 2 pin plug 'side clips' with 1 red wire (only wire going to the seccont round multiplug)

2.grey 2 pin plug with 'spring wire type clip' and 1 blue wire

3.beige 2 pin ' spring clip type' with 2 yellow wires

4.yellow 2 pin 'side clips' with 2 red wires ( i think it does into yellow plug coming from back of the block near g/box).

5.brown 2 pin 'side clip' with 2 red wires

6.brown 2 pin 'side clip' large blue wire going to eyelet, and thin green wire going to blue 2 pin side clip plug with a red wire going out (think this fits into front of sump)

(All the above plugs did not go to the ECU, as the wires went only to the round multiplugs)

Seing as the numbers done make sense with any wiring diagram i can find, if someone could let me know what the above clips fit, it would be ideal.

The wires i need to match up are

9 pin brown

1. Reverse light (wire 52, brown)

2. Reverse light (wire 53, purple)

3. Coolant light (wire 47, yellow)

4. Coolant meter (wire 47a, red)

5. Alternator (wire 7a, brown thin wire)

6. Oil pressure meter (wire 30, lilac)

7. Oil temp meter (wire 30a, white)

8. Oil pressure light (wire 30b, grey)

9. Switched positive (wire 2, light blue)

6 Pin Brown connector

1. Coolant fluid level (wire 47b)

2. Fuel pump (wire 76)

3. Coolant fluid level (wire M47B)

4. RPM meter (wire 112)

5. K-Light (wire 74)

6. Starter motor (wire 46)

from the left over wires that went to the round multiplugs, i pulled through 2 whte, 2 yellow, green grey and a blue that go all the way to the ECU.

What does the ECU need to run the engine? I have a large amount wires that go to 2 7 pin black plugs that i am unsure of what they do.

13042011996.jpg

I have 3 plugs that are heavily insulated / shielded that run from the ecu with no wired coming off them, so i can only guess they are important sensors for the running

13042011993.jpg

I have seperated the injector wires, and the coil wiring to make sure i dont disturb any of it.

13042011994.jpg

I have a small black plug with lots of thick red wires going to it, some of them go to the brown multiplug with a pcb inside it. (unsure what this does, i guess its some kind of junction box)

13042011997.jpg

The 405 the engine and loom is from had aircon, is it possible there is aircon wiring in the loom i dont need?

tomcolinjones

The 7 plugs that are loose are

1. blue 2 pin plug 'side clips' with 1 red wire (only wire going to the seccond round multiplug) fitted to sensor above oil filter housing.

2.grey 2 pin plug with 'spring wire type clip' and 1 blue wire. fitted to sensor above starter motor

3.beige 2 pin ' spring clip type' with 2 yellow wires. reverse sensor

4.yellow 2 pin 'side clips' with 2 red wires. fitted to yellow plug coming from back of the block near g/box.

5.brown 2 pin 'side clip' with 2 red wires... dont know

6.brown 2 pin 'side clip' large blue wire going to eyelet,....dont know and thin green wire going to....

7. blue 2 pin side clip plug with a red wire going out fitted to oil temp snsor?

Oh, and a yellow and a grey 2 pin plug still in the loom fits to the throttle body, along with a black 3 pin plug.

can anyone confirm what teh sensors are? i think 7 is oil temp sensor, as it fits to the blue sensor in the front of the sump.

3. is definatley reverse sensor, but which of the sensors on the block are oil pressure, coolant pressure, and coolant temp?

Edited by tomcolinjones

tomcolinjones

The two black plugs look like they go into junction box's.... are these the same as the jetronic one? as the plug will fit, or do they join up certain wires inside?

tomcolinjones

Started dry fitting my loom today.

I have a few plugs that i don't know what they do.

They are in the white circles in my atached image.

to the right of The pic with a red zig zag around i think may be the flywheel position sensor?

If someone could give me an idea to which plug goes where it would be super!

also i think the plug pictured on the '6' Throttle body may be the TPS, and i need to wire it up to the '6' plug.

wiring.jpg

Edited by tomcolinjones

welshpug

from memory, brown 3 pin is TDC sensor, grey 3 pin is the ICV.

Red not sure, yellow is throttle body heater, 3 pin shielded with black plug I think would be knock sensor.

the pair of 7 pin connectors would be for the pair of ignition amplifiers, last white 3 pin plug is for the VSS on the speedo drive.

tomcolinjones

from memory, brown 3 pin is TDC sensor, grey 3 pin is the ICV.

Red not sure, yellow is throttle body heater, 3 pin shielded with black plug I think would be knock sensor.

the pair of 7 pin connectors would be for the pair of ignition amplifiers, last white 3 pin plug is for the VSS on the speedo drive.

The offset lug recsess in the brown 3 pin plug suggests that it will not fit into the TDC sensor (flywheel sensor?) the tail from the sensor on the mi16 box (came with engine and loom) is the type of plug like the grey one.(top right)

Are all ignition amp's the same? I dont have any :( only the one off the jetronic

tomcolinjones

3 pin shielded with black plug I think would be knock sensor.

I already have a shielded 3 pin plug in the knock sensor ( front of block, green plug)

pug_ham
If your car has the wire in place for the engine check light (being a Phase 2 it should do) then wire this up as well as it'll help with diagnosing issues in the future.

I don't think Toms car will have one with it being a 1.6 originally, mine hasn't & its the same year.

I tend to agree that plug 6 is the TPS plug but why do you need to wire it up to pin 6? All the tps wires come from the ecu sop nothing should need modifying to fit on that part of the loom.

You only have to find the three or four wires to complete the swap.

Any plug you aren't certain of would be best checked with a multimeter on the ecu plug & unknown plug, assuming you have the correct ecu plug pin out to make it easier to identify.

The single blue plug could be the coolant temp guage or oil pressure switch, many of the new looms used the junior timer plugs for these sender as well which aren't strictly needed imo but the plugs do make it easier to fit them straight to the engine instead of making the original 205 sensors fit but its a small job if you decide to keep them.

Black three pin could be the CAS sensor but as said above, 10 minutes with a multimeter shuld be able to find what pins they leave the ecu from & we can then identify them exactly.

Graham.

tomcolinjones

10 minutes with a multimeter shuld be able to find what pins they leave the ecu from & we can then identify them exactly.

Graham.

Thanks for that! I shall find a multimeter and find out what pin they go to. I think i have got all the 'sensor' wires sorted to run the dials, its just the ECU sensors i am having trouble with.

Sign in to follow this