• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lewis205cti

Help Needed With A/c

lewis205cti

Hi guys

I have a 205 CTi with Air Con fitted. It’s a 1.9L 1992 reg.

I’ve had the car for about 8 years and it gets used a lot. As it’s a rag top I’ve not been that bothered with the A/C not working in the past.

But stuck in heavy traffic yesterday I was really wishing it worked.

It’s never worked since I’ve owned the pug but I wondered if anybody know how to fix it or had this problem.

Hears what I know.

The refrigerant is potentially dangerous so I don’t want just have a play about without having a heads up.

The A/C compressor looks to be belt driven from the crankshaft pulley. This looks ok.

The A/C button on the dash works.

But when I press the button noting happens. I could be wrong but on older cars with A/C you feel the revs change a bit to help with the drain on the engine. My old dears MX5 used to do it.

Could there be a problem with the compressor or condenser etc?

Any ideas welcome.

Cheers

Lewis

welshpug

If there's no gas in the system nothing will happen when you press the button.

First step would be to get the system pressure/leak tested, if all is well then it needs a re-charge with gas and oil, though before this goes ahead it may be wise to have the seals changed as yours may have had R12 refrigerant in it which has been banned for some time, R134a is the new stuff used which isn't compatible with the old seals (O-rings in most cases)

There's quite a few components in the system that you may not be able to source nowadays however.

Ryan

More than likely it's just low on gas and needs recharging. There's a pressure switch that will disable the aircon if there isn't enough gas in the system to prevent damage to the compressor.

There might be a problem as the refrigerant used in the 205 isn't available any more. A proper aircon service place can probably suggest an alternative (don't take it to Kwik Fit as they'll just plug it into a machine, fill it with the wrong gas, and ruin it).

mick3pugs

More than likely it's just low on gas and needs recharging. There's a pressure switch that will disable the aircon if there isn't enough gas in the system to prevent damage to the compressor.

There might be a problem as the refrigerant used in the 205 isn't available any more. A proper aircon service place can probably suggest an alternative (don't take it to Kwik Fit as they'll just plug it into a machine, fill it with the wrong gas, and ruin it).

I took my 205 to kwik fit for a re-gas (on special offer) but,they couldn't even attempt it as they said their machine only has the fittings for R134a and not R12, and also said it would be difficult to get somebody to drain the remaining R12 out, as it would contaminate their tank and cause them possible problems in the future......though I wasn't convinced by their couldn't care less attitude. :angry:

lewis205cti

Thanks for your advise guys. Very helpful.

I had no idea that about the different types of refrigerant. Ill try and find a local A/C garage that can re-gas and possibly replace the seals etc. Or maybe even an old refrigerator repair company who has R12 refrigerant Hahaha.

I'll avoid Kwikfit!

Thank and again and fingers crossed.

Edited by lewis205cti

Sign in to follow this