• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
NNPUT

Inner Wheel Arch Liners

NNPUT

Has anyone tried to fit plastic wheel arch liners from a 106, 306 or 206 to protect the inner wheel arch and to reduce noise etc??

I'm making a big assumption that they have plastic wheel arch liners in the first place!

cRaig

The 106 does have rear plastic wheel arch liners, as far as I remember from my little 1.1, I found that fitting some dynamat and sound deadening sludge to the rear quarters and arches helped massively with road noise, particularly on wet roads. Im sure there are some pics somehwere in my project thread, should be a link in my signature

Craig

omega

i think that plastic liners would be a great idea.

mafo

Its a shame your not here in sweden, as the 205 here had front plastic wheel arch liners to help protect against salt, grit from the roads here in winter!!

SurGie

THIS stuff i think would be ideal. You could put it behind the front wings for sound deadening. Then just keep an eye on the inner wings and treat it when you see rust etc. This stuff would also be good inside the rear wing/back seat areas.

Although iv not tried it myself yet.

feb

^The problem with such paints is that if they crack and salt gets behind, the chassis will start rusting from the inside and you will not be able to see it.

When you see it it will probably be too late.

cRaig

I wouldnt put the spectrum sludge behind the front wings (mainly because the front wings go between the engine bay and the wheel, there is little point of sound deadening them.

I put it on the inside of the floor, the bulkhead and the rear wheel arches, as well as doing the inside of the door skins.

Sound deadening the rear wheel arches/quarters made the most difference, and I would strongly reccomend it.

I used:

One layer of dynamat style foil/rubber sheet:

dscn1737mv5.jpg

A good thick two coats of spectrum sound deadening sludge:

dscf2257d.jpg

Standard Matting from the rear quarter of a 106 from a scrappy:

dscf2258l.jpg

I certainly wouldnt consider doin this process anywhere which would get wet, but the rear quaters should be perfectly fine, and the sludge appears to stay slightly porus/flexible, so it should dry out fairly happily.

Made such a difference, much more refined on the motorway, and nice having a door which shuts with a proper sounding clunk, rather than a tinny tap :D

Anthony

Be a little careful with the rear quarter panels, as you do get some water in there and there are some drain holes at the bottom that you don't want to block. Some form of rust proofing might be an idea as well before glooping that stuff around, as the rear quarter panel where it joins the sill is a rust prone area on 205's (especially Phase 2's it would seem)

Rear wheel arch liners (or atleast the rear part of the liner) would be interesting though, if for no other reason than to stop so much mud, moisture and road-salt being chucked up at the rear bumper mounts and the panel under/behind the rear lights, encouraging rust - certainly it's one of the areas that's becoming more and more of an issue rust wise on 205's, and it's a fairly complex/awkward panel to replace from what I can tell (and repair panels I believe are no longer available from Peugeot)

cRaig

I may look into rear wheel arch liners when i start work on my 205 again over the summer, I imagine 106's would be a sensibel starting point to see how well they fit

harryskid

Demon Tweeks sell 2mm plastic sheets suitable for wheel arch liners and comes in different colours. Its also suitable for under body protection, lots of us rally boys use it. Page 384

SurGie

I wouldnt put the spectrum sludge behind the front wings (mainly because the front wings go between the engine bay and the wheel, there is little point of sound deadening them.

Sorry i meant the cavity area not engine bay inner wing, near the door hinges.

There are a few you tube videos on how to use it and its effects.

Those areas of the 205 im thinking of doing also, but all rust even between the spot welded panels has been sorted.

harryskid

If you are using liners or plastic panels i would add that they should be sealed properly as any crud or water behind them could lead to worst problems.