• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Masekwm

Has Anyone Tried A Billet Flywheel From Lynx/rich_W?

SurGie

Iv just re-read the message i got from Rich w a while back and he told me to use an 8.5 mm drill or file to make these holes large enough.

Here's what i was told from rich_w -> Due to flywheel using larger M8 bolts to secure the clutch cover, you will need to enlarge the holes in the clutch cover by filing or drilling to approximately 8.5mm.

Edited by SurGie

Gman

Back to the original question, what are peoples thoughts on these? I know a few guys on the 306 forum struggled with stalling issues, but I don't know if the issue was ever resolved...

welshpug

I think thats more a common issue with the engine management than anything.

Miles

The rule is the lighter the flywheel the engine will be easier to Stall, Heavy ones are harder due to rotational mass

Baz

Less inertia, ideally the tickover will need to be raised a little to cope.

Sandy

Every one of these I've fitted has had the wrong dowel PCD. On the first one DJmini took it up with them and they insisted it was probably a fault with our crank.... well all the cranks I had and every flywheel since. I've always had to dress the dowel hole to get them to fit.

Then there was the utter misery of the Fiesta one I had... The owner ordered it and it took months to arrive, days before our first test. It came with a separate bolted on plate timing ring that I wasn't at all happy with, but we had no time left to find an alternative. We had to use it, despite the inconsistent sensor gap. It was fine through mapping and testing, but the first race start and the clutch heat distorted the timing ring, which bowed up and chopped the nose off the crank sensor... engine stopped and he retired from the race. They accepted the design flaw afterwards and made us a new single piece flywheel, but these issues don't fill me with confidence that the products are properly designed and tested.

The bolted on timing ring, you can almost see the split around the bolt, thin material and countersink bad:

P1040665.jpg

Edited by Sandy

SurGie

Is the above ones you are on about the rich w ones or them in general ?

Your post is a little unclear :unsure:

Baz

Is the above ones you are on about the rich w ones or them in general ?

Your post is a little unclear :unsure:

Every one of these...

HTH. :)

:rolleyes:

feb

I have ordered one with the inductive pickup pattern for a 8V, I hope there won't be any fitting or other problems, fingers and toes crossed.

As long as they are strong as the least thing one wants is a flywheel flying through the bulkhead :ph34r: (no pun intended)

Edited by feb

Wes

i have got one fitted to my 6 engine in the 205, its been fine so far. the engine revs up a lot quicker and it hasn't stalled atall, although you do need to give it a little more of a rev to pull away with out stalling. thumbs up from me :)

Sandy

Don't take me all negative mind, lightweight steel flywheels make the engine alot more responsive and I still use these (in the absence of affordable better ones).

SurGie

Ok thanks Sandy, its just when someone as experienced as your self says negative stuff about parts its gets me a bit worried.

Sign in to follow this