• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt.f

205 Roll Cage Design,which One?

matt.f

Right chaps,if you were having a custom built roll cage made be it bolt in or weld in would you have:

1-Vertical double diagonal on the main hoop behind the seats and a harness bar on the rear stays going to the beam mounts

2-same design as a Safety Devices C44 where double diagonal and harness bars are together

Surely number 1 is a better idea as the main hoop is stronger and will protect the occupents more?

tomcolinjones

Right chaps,if you were having a custom built roll cage made be it bolt in or weld in would you have:

1-Vertical double diagonal on the main hoop behind the seats and a harness bar on the rear stays going to the beam mounts

2-same design as a Safety Devices C44 where double diagonal and harness bars are together

Surely number 1 is a better idea as the main hoop is stronger and will protect the occupents more?

A problem with number 1 it that in the event (hopefuly not) of a side impact / roll, the bars between the main hoop could bend forewards towards the occupants.... not nice!

The main hoop is usualy made out of thicker and stronger tube to resist this, and shouldnt need bracing IMHO but i am no expert!

I have seen WRC cars with a brace bar between the hoop horizontaly, but bent so if it did bend it would go backwards.

hope this makes sense!

Safety devices seem to be the benchmark for good cages, so if i where going to copy one it would be this. i have an OMP in my xs and i like it. they are not supposed to be verry good, i havnt had chance to test it properly and hope i wont have to!

stu8v

I went for this one,

untitled.jpg

ae23db4e.jpg

SDC12976.jpg

SDC12978.jpg

SDC12975.jpg

matt.f

Tomcolinjones-omp are good cages for the price,I was in a car that rolled with one and it stood up well.

Stu8v-nice cage

backroadpug

what kind of cage is that or is it a custom jobbie.

I rolled my xs with my SD cage fitted held up amazing that good 6 years later Im still using it in my rallye.

rallyeash

my monstrosaty...

originally an omp 10 point but had a make over by colin satchell

002.jpg

003.jpg

matt.f

Think i'm going bolt in,can be taken out and used again if car gets damaged front or back(without roll cage being damaged)

MrP

Are OMP cages the only ones to mount onto the rear beam?

matt.f

No Safety Devices do aswell

Biggles

A problem with number 1 it that in the event (hopefuly not) of a side impact / roll, the bars between the main hoop could bend forewards towards the occupants.... not nice!

The main hoop is usualy made out of thicker and stronger tube to resist this, and shouldnt need bracing IMHO but i am no expert!

Main hoops are sometimes bigger tube but without a diagonal in a side impact you will bend them. (I have personal experience of this.) Adding a diagonal in the main hoop adds so much to the integrity that I always go this way. X diagonals add a bit more.

If the side impact is heavy enough to bend the diagonals as you suggest, I think you've got other things to worry about.

Option 1 for me.

Baz

For a bolt in, IMO the best off the shelf you can get is an SD C44.

brumster

I got told the same thing when needing a cage for the new car, so went with the SD, but I thought that was mainly to do with fitting. Must admit I prefer option 2 but can't really justify why on a technical basis... I've got two lower diagonals supporting the main loop and it just makes for a more open interior. I'd just feel more caged in, escpecially having seen some people's overboard cage designs (not to mention all the metal, and weight, put in there!). There's also the aspect of chassis/shell strengthening and stiffening hence why I would think it's good to go back to both subframe mounts but again, only talking from what I've been told. My cage was put in by a chap who's seen and repaired many a rally car so I believe he did a few things to give it a better chance of holding up shell-wise in a crunch. Then again, rallying is a different ball game to say circuit racing - we're taking knocks and scrapes all the time and the shell gets some pretty hard use stresses-wise, I'd suspect?

matt.f

The car is a rally car and as said the SD cages are very good so im considering those,just a lot of the more exspensive cages seem to have the X on the main hoop now.

Protection and Performance are down the road from me and will make a cage be it bolt in or weld in to your own spec and have worked on some fancy machinary.Link below,cars are in image gallery:

http://www.ppcages.com/

brumster

They wouldn't get the ticket if they didn't meet the minimum specs, so I wouldn't worry too much about it - they all do the job, although heaven forbid you ever have to find out. Mine was an SD with additional lengths of T45, so basically a semi-custom jobbie. And I've still got 3.7m of T45 left over if you're interested <cough> ;)

Edited by brumster

matt.f

The bloke at Protection and Performance recommends having the main hoop braced(option 1)as it protects you more and the rear stays go to the rear beam mounts.Let's face it who's bothered with what happens behind you so will probably opt for that.

lukesaddy

i went for this safety devices bolt in one for a simple and cheap one, door bars arent fitted in this pic but the back main bit seems a good one with harness bars.

I want to adjust it and get some crossed door bars on it eventually.

05022011767.jpg?t=1302031979

matt.f

Looks like a C44 SD cage,not that cheap mate lol

lukesaddy

lol sorry about the big pic,

it cost me £250 used, it came from a stock-car or banger racer and its got a bit of a bend in it, it near enough straightens up when it goes i the car properly though.

Thats how bad its bent :(

03092010450.jpg?t=1302034503

Shame it didnt fit in my fiesta to get it home hha

30082010438.jpg?t=1302034490

Baz

It was cheap because it's a non-matching cage, the rear half is C44 and the front is C12 unless i'm very mistaken, in fact i'm pretty certain, they don't fit together properly so it never will be right!

lukesaddy

ahh that makes sense now mate, the joins are a bit ropey on the back bit, dont get me wrong they go on nice and tight and safely but i was wondering with it being an expensive cage (when new) why the fit wasnt 100% especially with it being a safety devices one.

good job its gonna be a rough and ready track car, not a show car lol

Baz

Similar to my CC cage;

spray1.jpg

welshpug

those above are not too dissimilar to the Saxo version either, though instead of cut doorbars they were single piece bent with gussets between them, also ties in to the front beam mounts and front turrets.

Baz

They all seem tobe different! You can spec them how you want them essentially from a base design, but i think they've changed that a few times too!