• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul_13

Running In Procedure

Paul_13

I've got some of that Millers running in oil, worked with Ryan so thought i'd use the same.

I thought the same about the flush. Only helped on my diesel really, quietened it down loads of s*it come out and the oil stayed a bit cleaner (for about 10 mins). Then went black again.

That was using the additive not the actual oil.

Edited by Paul_13

Cameron

But that was for an engine that had done some significant mileage, not a rebuild?

I've never been keen on using flush additives tbh, it breaks down oil deposits etc but all that crap then hangs around in the engine until you change it, and like you said after a few miles it's back to looking dirty again.. just a waste of money imo.

Millers running in oil is just mineral oil isn't it? How much does it cost?

Paul_13

Yes high mileage 140k so only just run in on the diesel :lol:

Agreed not going to bother using it again. Pointless on diesels.

Around £30 so about the same as a bottle from halfords (not on trade).

Yep its mineral.

I shouldn't of glazed the bores by now I think, had it running for 5 mins in total after 3 brief starts

Edited by Paul_13

Cameron

5L of mineral oil is like 15 quid in Halfrauds though isn't it? :o

Paul_13

No verging on £25 last time I looked I think (not on trade) might be thinking of something else.

Oilmans selling techniques brain washed me :rolleyes:

welshpug

bog standard local motorfactor oil will suffice, about £12, check tescs aand asda too :D

Paul_13

After ive done the 50 miles to bed the rings in and dumped the oil, does it have to be mineral oil I put in for the next 100 miles, or can it be cheapo semi synthetic stuff?

Paul_13

Only mineral oil I can find at the mo is diesel oil in halfrauds

johnhenry

Evening/Morning all

i have a rebuilt motor coming back from miles over the next day or so. having read this im just trying to establish the best was to bed it it. It has had new rings, and the head rebuilt (would need to clarify is the cam has had attention) but would assume the cam and its surroundings need to be bedded in.

i think its because its late/early im struggling to work out which do i do first, and with the whole bedding in the cam idea.

Bed the cam in - run it at 2000-2500 standing still not driving - isnt this a higher idle which is to be avoided? of is it run the car around at that sort of rev range?

Bed the rings in - this comes after bedding the cam in?

- the full throttle/snap off test got it.

Hope this makes sense? brains abit like soup :/

cheers

John

Miles

Don't even think about the cam, it's got nothing to do with the build, As it's had new shims and thats it, The bottom end as I have always said is the most important here, Nice and gentle bed's the bearings in well as abuse can make a mess of them

johnhenry

then thats what ill be doing! thanks miles. sorry, nice and gentle it is :D

might be back today - like christmas day!

GilesW

I've had many a debate wbout running in over the years, however this thread says what I've always done (following expert advice).

Miles - think I'm confused by this engine you speak of.

It has new rings, shells (bearings), and a reshimmed cam.

Are you saying the shells need running in and this is in 'preferance' to bedding in the rings?

As I say - think I'm confused as any shells I've thought worth fitting will not need running it, but the rings certainly will (and the cams not).

Cameron

Which is easiest to replace, a set of bearing shells or a set of rings?

As long as you have good oil pressure the bearings will not suffer from a few cycles of hard acceleration.

stu8v

Just drive it normal, job done. varying the load and rev ranges.

Treat it with some mechanical sympathy ie dont labour it and dont hold it on the limiter etc etc and it will be fine.

Now my mate ran his impreza in at 8000rpm rev limiter and 1.8 bar of boost...........................................

And that was after being told to drive it steady for a few weeks??? His std build cost over 2 grand...!!!!!!

Yeah its still going and makes good power, I guess you takes your chances either way. :)

I always go with the take it steady approach, well for a while. lol

Sign in to follow this