• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Simes

Strut Braces

Simes

Which strut brace is best for your money and fits the best only I've read stories of bonnets flexing......etc :(

pug_ham

I have a sparco non adjustable & it fits with no problems with it catching the bonnet, they are about £40 from demon tweeks but you can probably get one from the Croyden race & rally centre & save p&p.

Graham.:(

Guest Andy7969

As above, they fit no problem and the difference in handling is extreme. Just be careful on your 1st outing , oversteer tends to happen due to the turn in being so much better.

Guest ADRIAN

I think they are all the same ,

they are great,

make your own. :(

Edited by ADRIAN

Guest ADRIAN

Two options,

1.take measures , cut one metal tube to the length you want , and meke two

plates that will eventualy fit on the top of your absorbers (three little holes

for the screws and a big one in the middle ) .locate the round plates at their place and the bar equally on both sides ,make two small welldings (one each side) take it out and weld it good. don't forget to colour it .

2. Copy one from a friend.

Helped? :(

Edited by ADRIAN

Guest Hungrytang

I had a sparco non ajustable on my first 1.6 gti pug and it was a shocking fit.

It dident fit on the top of the towers properley and the bonnet wouldnt close over the top of it (well it did but it put a crease across it)

I even took it to a garage to see if they could do anything with it and they also said it was a pile of sh*t

Guest puggti

I have a Sparco adjustable, a lot of people say they dont fit, well mine didnt until i turned it round so the adjustable bit was on the Battery side and hey presto its Pukka, handling seems to be noticeable, i wudnt say it is that much difference but then i dont test my car to the limits so NER!

cybernck

yeah i agree with adrian, you can make a cheap custom one if nothing else.

even ends up looking more hard core under the bonnet.

Guest shredmaster73

I Agree with Adrian and cybernck, I made my own which turned out really well (even with my dodgy welding skills !!). I basically made the strut top plates first - I made a template from card the same size and shape as the strut top with the apeture the same size also, I then made two plates to weld on at an angle ( facing inward and backward slightly. I then got a bar and squashed the end in a vice the same angle as the plate, mesured the other end and squashed that. I drilled a 12mm hole through the plate and bar and secured with an M12 stainless bolt and nylock nut (so the bar can be removed without taking the plates off). I had to hammer a channel in the side of the bar which faces the bulkhead just to clear the brake fluid resevoir- if you do this make sure the opposite side to which you are hammering is on a wooden surface so it doesn't bend in. I finished it off with red hammerite which, if applied with care (sanding after each coat) looks good. This cost me about £4 and 3 hours of my time if that - not bad eh ? But then for the sake of £40 you may as well buy one, just depends on your budget I guess. Have fun :(

Guest Island-pug

I would really like to see what this looks like on your car,if possible.

Thanx

Guest shredmaster73

Will have some pics developed soon, how do you put on the forum ? If i can't put them on here I'll email them to you or anyone else who's interested.

cybernck

i'll take a pic of mine tomorrow.

it's basically a round pipe squashed at the ends, but looks good.

well it looked good before the paint stripped off :(.

Guest Island-pug

Still waiting for those pics and....................Thanking you in advance. :(

Guest jonnie205

OMP ones foul the bonnet. How they can sell a bolt on item that bends your bonnet i don't know. A simple change in design would make it fit perfectly.

However, once that auto bonnet is fitted you have no probs... :(

Guest Antoni1.9

I have an OMP adjustable from Demon tweeks & its OK.

Bonnet is standard and even with the insulation it's doesnt foul.

Must be production tolerances - cause the OMP roll cage was a bitch to fit.

Antoni

Guest jonnie205

Well there you go then, there must be fairly large tolerances on the braces then if one fits and one doesn't (that or my strut tops have had too much abuse...!)

Had an OMP cage in a clio16v and that wasn't too good either...

Guest 205pugman

make your own, or ill make you one for £25!!!!

they are so easy to do

Guest daz205

ok then what material and thickness do people use for home made strut braces?

ally/mild steel/stainless? (i`m thinking of using stainless cause of looks and strength is this the best material out of the 3 for this job?)

i was thinking about 4-5mm thk for the bit that sits on the strut

dunno what diameter for the main bar, but i figure the wall thickness should be about 3mm is this correct or am i miles out

Guest 205pugman

i used mild steel, and i welded it with a ancient arc welder!!

i will put some pics up when i get them on to my bloody pc!!

Guest ADRIAN

Common,

Don't you have a friend or someone that you know that could show you

exactly how it looks and you copy it?

:)

I'll send you a pic of mine (Sefat made) if you are stuck. :)

Guest jonnie205

Use mild steel as its far easier to get hold of, fabricate and weld. 1.2-1.6mm wall thicknessis fine. That is what most off the shelf roll cages are. Also when you put steel bolts in contact with it, it won't start to rust...

Guest daz205

i work in a factory so i could quite easily nick a bit of Stainless if the end result is better ?

Guest jonnie205

If you can work with it then stainless is good also. Saves painting it i suppose! Just means loads of polishing once its welded together.

Sign in to follow this