• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wah

1.6Gti Gearbox Onto A 1.9Gti

wah

Hi all,

Ok I'm sure this has been done to the death but can somebody tell me what benefits I will get from fitting a 1.6gti gearbox onto my 1.9gti and is it just a straight swap if not what bits & bobs do I need to make sure I obtain.

Si

tomcolinjones

Hi all,

Ok I'm sure this has been done to the death but can somebody tell me what benefits I will get from fitting a 1.6gti gearbox onto my 1.9gti and is it just a straight swap if not what bits & bobs do I need to make sure I obtain.

Si

if swaping like for like, (be3 for be3) e.t.c nothing else will be required. you will increace the acceleration, and also increace your rpm at all speeds. so it will rev higher at 70mph for example.

but you could have found all that out by doing a search. google is a good one to try.

Edited by tomcolinjones

wah

Thanks for the info as for like for like it won't be as the 1.9 will be a F reg and the box off the 1.6 will be from a J plate !!

Anthony

That effectively makes it a BE1 to BE3 conversion (assuming both boxes are original of course) which adds a little complication, but is still fairly straight forward.

A search will reveal masses of information, but as a minimum you'll need a BE3 clutch pedal and BE3 clutch cable, and ideally, you'll remove the lift-up reverse cable/collar and swap the gearknob.

Collier

it should be faster at bottom end.. but then slower at higher speeds i think? just shorter ratios and faster revs

Sign in to follow this