• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shalmaneser

Rev Counter Not Working In Gti6 Convo

shalmaneser

I'm getting happier and happier with my gti-6 conversion, it need a couple of things done to it (exhaust not fitted properly, oil temp sensor to wire up, gearbox selector issues...) but it's bloody fast and great fun with it - I gave an Audi S4 a nasty shock the other day....

Anywhooo, the rev counter for some reason isn't working. I've followed the excellent guide here - http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=114881&st=0

and done as suggested in these photos....

revcounter.jpg

DSC02953.jpg

however even though it's wired up right as best i can see, the rev counter resolutely refuses to move.

Has any one else had a similar problem? I'm using a VTS engine and i've got a phase 1.5, but all the wires seem to match up but the tacho just ain't playing ball.

One thing i did notice is that in the picture above Nickaliath seems to have bridged the two solder pads on the left, an fitted the jumper wire to the solder pad on the right; I was very careful to avoid bridging the two solder pads, maybe this is what is causing me the lack of hot rev counter action?

Cheers,

Adam.

pugpete1108

i found it easier to make up a resistor pack to run the tacho straight from the two spark drivers. i.e a+b

i actually have a spare one i made here if you want it? only 4 wires to connect and it works fine although i'm not sure it will on that dash now you have messed around with it?

Spiky

i got a loom in stock to get the rev counter working if needed :)

mikeygulley

I have this same problem with my conversion using the VTS engine in a ph 1.5 and its the only thing that isn't working!!

shalmaneser

Does anyone have the link to the resistor pack circuit diagram? Might pop down to Maplins today...

keeperlit

Adam,

I have a phase 1.5 1.9 GTi now with a Xsara VTS engine living under the bonnet. I'm pretty sure I followed the same instructions as you when I modified the rev counter. Mine seems to work okay now though I'm not sure exactly whether I bridged that contact or not but I can confirm that it *should work*. Might be worth going back and giving it a go?

Keith

shalmaneser

Keith,

Thanks for the information. I've literally just soldered the bridge on, but still no movement.

The clocks worked fine before the swap, so I'm going to assume they're fine and concentrate on the wiring as my next port of call...bloody thing is so annoying, having a working rev counter makes the whole thing so much more 'OEM' lol!

Back to the circuit diagrams for me I think! :rolleyes:

shalmaneser

DSC_0079.jpg

I'm such a knob. can anyone spot the deliberate mistake?!

DSC_0080.jpg

Much better!!!

However, for reasons that completely elude me my rev counter works perfectly, whereas my speedo has decided to pack up. Which is particularly annoying because I took extra special care fixing the cable to the back of the dash so I don't need to fiddle with it again.

Bloody Peugeots!