• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tjalde^

Problem With Rear Wiper

Tjalde^

Hi

I have this problem with my rear wiper. When I turn it off, the wiper stops at the same time. It does not go back to starting position. Is this a normal problem, and what would be clever to check for?

GLPoomobile

Replace the relay. It's right by the motor behind the plastic panel in the back of the tailgate.

Tjalde^

Thank you. Can I somehow test the relay?

hothatch

I dont think the relay is the problem its more than likely the contact tracks inside the mortor itself, not resting in the right position, there should be two tracks in the rear motor, open the motor up and check them for wear or dryness, should be greased.

ben

hothatch

Bo**ocks, i forgot to ask you if its resting in the right position when they are going? the above statment by me will be completly wrong otherwise .

Tjalde^

Bo**ocks, i forgot to ask you if its resting in the right position when they are going? the above statment by me will be completly wrong otherwise .

I am not sure if I understand your question right - sorry. It does not matter when I turn the switch off. The wiper stops immediately.

Edited by Tjalde^

hothatch

I am not sure if I understand you question right - sorry. It does not matter when I turn the switch off. The wiper stops immediately.

my bad mate, i havnt used a rear wiper on a 205 for a while now, are they like the front intermittent or are they continuous?

Tjalde^

I think it is my English :) mine is only continuous in the rear.

GLPoomobile

They are constant. So you should be able to turn it off at any point and it'll finish it's sweep and return to the parked position.

I'm not 100% sure it'll be the relay, but it's a cheap and easy thing to replace as a first check. I had this problem years ago and I've a feeling I ended up swapping the motor because a replacement relay didn't fix it. So it's either going to be the relay or the motor, and to be honest they are both cheap and easy to replace (motors are cheap if you get them 2nd hand).

Tjalde^

They are constant. So you should be able to turn it off at any point and it'll finish it's sweep and return to the parked position.

I'm not 100% sure it'll be the relay, but it's a cheap and easy thing to replace as a first check. I had this problem years ago and I've a feeling I ended up swapping the motor because a replacement relay didn't fix it. So it's either going to be the relay or the motor, and to be honest they are both cheap and easy to replace (motors are cheap if you get them 2nd hand).

Okay, I will try to find something second hand. Thank you for the help.

hothatch

I think it is my English :) mine is only continuous in the rear.

no problem. right if its continuous, There could be two problems,

1) the permenant live feed to the rear wiper motor has been lost therefore not taking the motor back to the park position after switching off.

2) the tracks inside the motor have moved over slightly to the switched live , or the permenent live track has worn away.

make sense? i can explain it differently if you dont understand it its no problem ok bud :)

Tjalde^

no problem. right if its continuous, There could be two problems,

1) the permenant live feed to the rear wiper motor has been lost therefore not taking the motor back to the park position after switching off.

2) the tracks inside the motor have moved over slightly to the switched live , or the permenent live track has worn away.

make sense? i can explain it differently if you dont understand it its no problem ok bud :)

I think I understand :) Is the permenent live feed a wire?

hothatch

I think I understand :) Is the permenent live feed a wire?

yes you are right. 3 wires to the motor,

1=permenant live from battery. (12volts all the time) or whatever your battery voltage is

2=switched live from your stalk (switch that you operate)

3= ground (earth)

the permenant live is the one you want to check, you should have battery voltage all the time. if you have no voltage there that is your problem and you need to check your fuses and wires.

if you do have voltage there you need to open the motor up and check the contacts and tracks.

Tjalde^

yes you are right. 3 wires to the motor,

1=permenant live from battery. (12volts all the time) or whatever your battery voltage is

2=switched live from your stalk (switch that you operate)

3= ground (earth)

the permenant live is the one you want to check, you should have battery voltage all the time. if you have no voltage there that is your problem and you need to check your fuses and wires.

if you do have voltage there you need to open the motor up and check the contacts and tracks.

Great. Then I have something to check now. Thank you for your help.

Have a nice weekend!

hothatch

Great. Then I have something to check now. Thank you for your help.

Have a nice weekend!

No problem . thanks mate you to ^_^ !

let us know how you get on.

Tjalde^

Finally I have got the time to take a look at it. At least I found one problem right away. The relay is missing and the previous owner has made some weird wiring.

Rel%C3%A6.jpg

In number 5 there are two wires. A black which goes to the wiper motor and a brown wire. I do not know, where the yellow comes from but it goes to 3. Can you help me with the right wiring so I can buy a relay?