• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

1.9 Gti Not Turning Over

Lynden

Hi all - a bit of a sorry tale and some advice needed...

Over a year ago the head gasket blew on by 1988 1.9 GTI, and a month ago finally got around to finishing putting it back together with new gasket set and cambelt. It got to the big day of getting a jumpstart to get it going but somehow in all the excitement I managed to be a complete muppet and jumpstarted it with the leads the wrong way around. There was a bit of smoke and a bang or two from somewhere... I thought the smoke and noise came from down around the starter.

Then tried jumping it with leads the right way around - to begin with nothing - no dash lights or anything - then I left it for 30 minutes and tried again and it cranked ok, but then there was another bang - which I think was some kind of misfire but I'm not sure. But there was still some smoke coming from somewhere (again I thought from starter area), and it seemed like that far too much current was being drawn from the Merc 500SEC that I was jumping off - the big V8 dropped revs and seriously dimmed internal lights etc! Cables warmed up a fair bit.

So I think something had shorted. Disconnected the alternator and the 205 seemed to turn over a bit faster, but no joy. After recharging the battery it seems to be getting to about 11V, but doesn't turn the car. Dash lights all come on ok.

Yesterday I tried again, using a jumpstart pack instead of a Merc this time, and the starter wouldn't turn the engine at all. I can hear it engage but not turn the engine over. I then swapped out the starter motor for a known working one, but exactly the same - engaging but not turning the engine.

With one wheel off the ground and car in gear, the engine can be turned by hand - there's definitely a sticky point in the cycle though - should I be worried about that?

Have I knackered it? Any thoughts what else to try as I don't think it's the starter (because swapping made no difference) or alternator (because disconnecting it didn't make much difference to turning over).

Cheers, Lynden

smithy

personally i w ould say the battery is knackered to start with after being left for a year or more especially as you say it only reaches 11v.

the engine will have "sticky points" when turning by hand due to cylinders compression.

make sure leads are on correct fir new battery and take it from there i would say

unariciflocos

Have you tried changing the battery? 11V with no load is really low. Should be closer to 12.6 12.8.

Unless you get decent jump leads, the cheap ones won't have a large enough section to run the 40 or 50 amps needed across from one car to the other and will get hot in no time.

M_R_205

You put the leads on the wrong way round, You pillock!

First of id get a new battery on there, 11v is no good, and check all the fuses inside the car,

If still no luck try a new or known good starter, Also if you follow the wire from the starter that goes to the ignition barrel (the thin one) above the gear box it should go through a multi plug, Make sure that connection is nice and clean as this can cause problems too!

unariciflocos

I then swapped out the starter motor for a known working one, but exactly the same - engaging but not turning the engine.

He already did that. That indicates either a short somewhere or a dead battery.

Backfires do suggest leads in the wrong order though.

Lynden

Thanks for the replies - battery first by the sounds of it. I'm pretty sure the plug leads are in the right order but will definitely check again!

hothatch

ide be checking your relays too, dont just go and put a fully charged battery on there now as you could go on and do even more damage. If it was me i would be checking all my fuses, relays, and wiring and making sure nothing has a dead short, would really suprise me if theres no dead short on there after that. Sorry to tell you but you will be lucky to have a fully working ecu aswell bud. let us know how you get on mate.

regards

Lynden

It lives! I called in a bit of help from a mobile mechanic called Saf, who quickly confirmed knackered battery. Seemed to have some kind of internal short. Also there was a mix up of the spark plug leads so that was the cause of the misfiring. So thanks for the help with the diagnosis, chaps.

Anyway, new battery, new plugs (the old ones were fairly corroded) and another jumpstart and off she went! Great to hear it running again after a so many months in the garage! Even drove out of the garage and up the lane (no bonnet and old mattress still on the roof that was being stored there)

Next problem was lots of steam and finally found the cause of the over-heating that had caused the head gasket to go in the first place - the heater matrix is leaking all over the place. Bypassed for now... But Saf the mechanic was reckoning it's a nasty old job to replace.... I'll have a look on the forum to see if anyone else has some wisdom on this, but in the meantime, summer's coming, so who needs heating?!

So a few more things to do - retension cambelt, check brakes, get rid of the mattress and head for the MOT...

All in all, a good Saturday!

smithy

When batteries are left flat too long they can actually reverse polarity due to the sulphur build up on plates.we get it on old train batteries quite regular.

As got heater matrix I don't think they are that bad to do, my phase 1.5 looks fairly easy to get out.

jackherer

The heater matrix is pretty easy as long as you ignore the Haynes manual and DON'T remove the entire dash.

Lynden

Yep - I had a look at some other posts and the matrix looks like it should be fine. Looks like I might have got away with it!

Sign in to follow this