• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CharlieBoy

205 1.6 Will Not Start.

CharlieBoy

After sorting out the 205 from its previous tap thanks to a careless driver I was looking forward to driving it today now it is fixed, or rather I thought it was.

Basically, if I try to start it, the engine will not even turn over. On position III I can hear the fuel pump kicking in and maybe a relay kicking in but besides that, nothing. I do not even think the solenoid on the starter is kicking.

Before I start taking off the Inlet to get to the starter motor connections/wires, is there something simple that I am missing.

FWIW, the wire going from the battery to the control box had snapped off its terminal, meaning I had to get another terminal put on. On the wires connected they still register 12V. I have also tried a known working battery and jump starting it with the same consequences.

It is a 1989 205 1.6 GTi

Edited by CharlieBoy

j_turnell

Check the brown multiplug and connection on the starter, the brown multiplug is located above the gearbox near the afm area, the starter wire is the thick blue wire. If thats all good then it is likely to be the starter, common problem. No need to remove the inlet or rad, you can get them out the bottom between the block and the rad, just need to remove the oil filler pipe and it just fits, saves a lot of hassle. If yours has the original bracket that bolts to the back of the starter and to the block, this will need to be removed first, x2 11mm on the block and x2 8mm/10mm on the starter.

CharlieBoy

I'll check the wiring again (the blue wire seemed ok), although the brown multiplug has not been disturbed, but I guess it would not harm it to clean it.

Sign in to follow this