• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stolton

1.9 Gti Gearbox Question ?

Stolton

Hello Everyone. ive had a recent problem with my standard 205 gearbox as ive just got it back on the road and the gearbox if officially dead but a friend of mine has a mi16 gearbox that i can use for the mean while which in theory saves me money lol. question im asking is do i use a mi16 clutch or do i use the normal thrust bearing off the 205 as i know on the mi16`s the thrust bearing is on the clutch and the fork slides behind them but on the 205 the thrust bearing is on the box.

Could someone help me please ??

Cheers Guys :)

tomcolinjones

Hello Everyone. ive had a recent problem with my standard 205 gearbox as ive just got it back on the road and the gearbox if officially dead but a friend of mine has a mi16 gearbox that i can use for the mean while which in theory saves me money lol. question im asking is do i use a mi16 clutch or do i use the normal thrust bearing off the 205 as i know on the mi16`s the thrust bearing is on the clutch and the fork slides behind them but on the 205 the thrust bearing is on the box.

Could someone help me please ??

Cheers Guys :)

you can either use the mi16 clutch arm and clutch and modify your 205 cable, or swap over the 1.9 arm onto the mi16 box and use a bx16v clutch.

Stolton

what would be the most easiest & quickest to do fella ??

Edited by FrenchTrackSpec205

Anthony

If you've got a BE3 gearbox (reverse below 5th) and it's a 1.9 Mi16 gearbox, you don't need to touch the clutch - the gearbox is a straight swap and can use the existing clutch.

What the 1.9 Mi16 gearbox does need is one of the selector arms changing for a 205 style one, but that's easy enough.

Stolton

Cheers Anthony, i will find out today at some point if its the 1.9 16v box, so i take it it if its the 1.9 16v box your saying about i can just put the thrust bearing in the normal place it would be on a standard 1.9 8v 205 box ?? cheers for your help guys just want to get the 205 back out on the road again lol.

Stolton

Just found out its the 2litre gearbox out of the s16 so what are the options i have to fit this gearbox and what would be the cheapest and easiest ?? Thanks guys

jackherer

Is your current gearbox a BE1 or BE3?

Stolton

Is your current gearbox a BE1 or BE3?

BE3 mate

Stolton

Also i forgot to say im going to be using a BE3 Gearbox out of a S16 (2Litre Mi16). Just need to know what the best way to go as whether to get a Mi16 Clutch or modify the Mi16 gearbox.

tomcolinjones you said about a bx16v clutch is that off a 1.9 Citroen BX ?? Cant i use the 1.9 205 Clutch i already have or isnt that possible ??

& also whats the situation about what flywheel to use, do i use the 1.9 205 one or what ??

Sorry for all the questions everyone just abit confused at the moment as this is my first french car after moving on from Fords lol

Please could someone tell me exactly what ways i can tackle this.

Thanks Everyone :)

Baz

Flywheel & clutch remain as they are, 205 gti items. You're just changing the box.

Stolton

So your saying the box will just bolt straight on with the 205 clutch and flywheel and work without problems or what mate ?? Where abouts am i putting the thrust bearing on the spline or on the clutch because the 306 is on the clutch but 205 is on the spline as from what i was told. Cheers Baz

Anthony

Flywheel & clutch remain as they are, 205 gti items. You're just changing the box.

Not if it's a 2.0 Mi16/S16 gearbox, as they use a pull-type clutch like the Xsara VTS AFAIK rather than the push-type clutch of a 205/309 GTi and 1.9 Mi16.

Using a later pull-type clutch 'box on a 205 is somewhat more of a headache, as you'll either need to change the clutch arm and fork for the 205 style one (assuming it will come apart to get it out of the 205 box, which they often don't) or you'll need to swap the flywheel and clutch for a 215mm pull-style one and fiddle with the clutch cable to make it all work. You'll also need to change the selector arm as per the 1.9 Mi16 gearbox.

To be honest, it would be much easier just selling the 2.0 Mi16/S16 gearbox and getting a direct replacement replacement 205/309 GTi item as it'll be similar money and less work.

Stolton

Oh great lol, i will have to post up a wanted thread for a gearbox then or if anyone know anyone with one forsale that would be great but on the downside will have to try and get rid of this mi16 box. Cheers for the help everyone but if anyone has any better ideas please let me know asap. Thanks

Baz

I should have a 205 box and not too far from you! :)

Sign in to follow this