• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Timmartin0

1.9 Gti Fuel Pump

Timmartin0

Hi guys !

I cant start my car - fuel pump isn't pumping - tried direct live to it but just makes a thud !

Also voltage to it is only showing as 0.2v - any ideas why this would be - it has been standing for 8 years !

so far swapped tachometric relay - still doesn't click when cranking engine - is this normal ?

Cheers folks !

chopper205

If u run a cable straight to the fuel pump from the battery it should work if not it may be clog or knackered

Timmartin0

ive done that mate just makes a thud sound and doesn't pump ! ordered a new one but as there is only 0.2v there the new ones not gonna work either so any ideas how to cure the voltage problem ?

chopper205

ive done that mate just makes a thud sound and doesn't pump ! ordered a new one but as there is only 0.2v there the new ones not gonna work either so any ideas how to cure the voltage problem ?

chopper205

Have u got 12v at the relay if so there must be a break down in the cable from the relay to the pump

Timmartin0

yes ive got 12v at the relay (on 1 wire only) is that right ?

chopper205

Yes one positive and one is a earth but If u got 12v at the relay there must be a fault between relay and pump

smithy

you should get 12 volt on both the outputs on tachy relay,think they are white or light grey in colour and are thicker than others,one goes to injectors the other is for the fuel pump,you should get voltage when cranking as relay energised via the starter trigger feed and once running kept energised by the ignition system.

from what you explain sounds like pump seized personally i would fit new pump first as it could be breaking down inside causing voltage drop,to prove this unplug pump and recheck voltage when cranking,try it with black meter lead on earth in plug first then to a decent earth on body just incase you earth connection is knackered.

if it turns out to be a wiring fault just run a new wire from tachy to pump of correct thickness rather than trying to trace fault.

Timmartin0

Cheers Smithy ! Ive tried pump connector with pump disconnected and getting voltage as 0.2v but I havent tried with different earth on body - Ill have a go tomorrow and get back to you if thats ok !

Sign in to follow this