• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wracing

Gear Box Cooling

wracing

After eating a few gearboxes on my 205 I got really fed up of changing them, I decided to try and doing something about it. I wanted to keep with the 6 speed gearboxes there was nothing I could do with the casings with out spending massive amounts of money that I didn't have.

After stripping a few gear boxes I found one with input shaft bearing failure and 4 with broken gears and badly worn syncros(I don't miss gears! :huh: ). As said I cant afford to spend massive amounts on the standard box and I'm saving to go sequential eventually. After going for a spirited drive I noticed that the gear box was exceptionally hot the ir probe showed 174 degrees well out of the oil specification....oops! I fitted a sensor bung in the box and started recording the temp of the oil directly. As can be expected oil temp was directly related to applied power, with the oil temp showing a great degree of latency in responding to reduction in power.

Quite simply I added a drain bung in the lower part of the box and a return through the reverse inhibit hole. I have been using a 306 hdi diesel lift pump to circulate the oil through a 13row oil cooler in the boot. Oil temps lowered to around 70 degrees. well within oil specification. The Box hasn't broken yet :)

Pictured to come :)

James

All Praise The GTI

everytime you come across a problem you come up with an ingeniuos idea to fix it. :huh:

hows the rest of the car coming along?

dying to have a ride in this mate :)

EdCherry

Seems like your piping the oil a fair way!

omega

so is the gearbox cooler because of the oil cooler? or is it cooler because you are running more oil in it?

Daviewonder
so is the gearbox cooler because of the oil cooler? or is it cooler because you are running more oil in it?

Both I'd guess?

Saveit

Pictures please ;)

M@tt

yeah this doesn't exist without proof of pictures ;)

cheesegrater

Probably find you could get rid of the oil cooler :P

HERMAN

Still waiting for these pic's ;)

Neil

wracing

have patience the system is in bits as i moving the oil pickup the end casting :)

James

Cameron

Sounds like a great idea. :)

HERMAN

Ok James sorry mate just very interested thats all.

Just out of interest do you know what the various thread sizes are on the gear box (Filler/breather, side plug and drain plug)?

I plan on plumbing in my gear box breather to a my catch tank as it some time leaks oil out the breather during hard use.

Cheers

Neil

James504

I contemplated a similar system for my 405 v6 turbo. I was going to replace the drain and filler plugs with banjo fittings. I was looking at an expensive external electric oil pump, but a fuel pump is a comparatively cheaper idea! Wrc/s2000 psa car's run an oil pump off the input shaft in the gearbox. Its a very novel idea, but hard to implicate on a road car gearbox.

kyepan

. After going for a spirited drive I noticed that the gear box was exceptionally hot the ir probe showed 174 degrees well out of the oil specification....oops! I fitted a sensor bung in the box and started recording the temp of the oil directly. As can be expected oil temp was directly related to applied power, with the oil temp showing a great degree of latency in responding to reduction in power.

Quite simply I added a drain bung in the lower part of the box and a return through the reverse inhibit hole. I have been using a 306 hdi diesel lift pump to circulate the oil through a 13row oil cooler in the boot. Oil temps lowered to around 70 degrees. well within oil specification. The Box hasn't broken yet :)

Pictured to come :)

James

That is very interesting, i wonder if the same logic could be applied to the nissan pulsar that seems to wreck it's boxes with alarming regularity.

Cheers

J

ORB

well, my old Saxo that i bought New in 2003 went through 4 box's before being sold in 2009. Wonder if this would help?

wracing

I wasn't having a pop herman its frustrating that I cant get on the car at the moment!!! Work is far to demanding.

I'm not sure on the thread sizes of the top of my head all metric I'm hoping to get on the motor this weekend so ill take some measurements :)

James