• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

Bike Engined Daewoo Matiz

Rob Turbo

I've been thinking about this for a good while now, a lad I used to work with thinks it's a stupid idea, but he just doesn't understand!

My idea was to buy a matiz with a short tax and test, run it for a bit to save up (running the v6 isn't the cheapest thing to do!), then when it's out of test, use the money I've saved to buy a litre sports bike engine, loom and ecu, and basically perform a budget transplant, convert the standard diff to chain drive, build a frame to hold the engine and diff, with either no reverse or an electric reverse, then test it again for a bit of a hoon.

If the diff/driveshafts/cv joints can't take it and don't last long then it doesn't really matter, bike engines hold their value so as long as I don't have to modify it to fit then I'll get my money back on it, and you can get a matiz for around £500, so after breaking it I could probably make a couple of quid back, but because of the money I would have saved whilst running it the loss won't be too bad!

Stupid idea or excellent??

Peetypug

Why a matiz?

Rob Turbo

Because they are cheap, crap looking, and you'd cry if one overtook you!

Edited by Rob Turbo

carbers205

Theyre also very light which is vital given a bike engine has quite low torque in comparison.

Peetypug

Good answer!

Go for it, I know where there is a fireblade engine, but think it may need a rebuild :/

welshpug

they're under 700 cc as standard :(

feels like you're cornering on the doorhandles!

hcmini1989
I've been thinking about this for a good while now, a lad I used to work with thinks it's a stupid idea, but he just doesn't understand!

My idea was to buy a matiz with a short tax and test, run it for a bit to save up (running the v6 isn't the cheapest thing to do!), then when it's out of test, use the money I've saved to buy a litre sports bike engine, loom and ecu, and basically perform a budget transplant, convert the standard diff to chain drive, build a frame to hold the engine and diff, with either no reverse or an electric reverse, then test it again for a bit of a hoon.

If the diff/driveshafts/cv joints can't take it and don't last long then it doesn't really matter, bike engines hold their value so as long as I don't have to modify it to fit then I'll get my money back on it, and you can get a matiz for around £500, so after breaking it I could probably make a couple of quid back, but because of the money I would have saved whilst running it the loss won't be too bad!

Stupid idea or excellent??

Bit of an idea for you mate ,But me and a mate were thinking about this diffrent car and rwd but same principal.And the easiest soloution for you would be to turn the bike engine so it was facing the side of the car and fun shaft straight from the front sprocket shaft on the bike ,Dont bother with the chain to much arsing around ,So you could attach a pinion straight from the front sprocket shaft on the bike to the standard crown wheel.Quite simple tbh and theres not really alot to the bike loom so thats easy aswell.

Allso you`ve got instant sequenintial gears .And as for reverse i think alot of these of the shelf conversions use a starter motor to drive it backwards

Id say go for it.Its not that hard tbh the only tough bit would be keeping the standard diff lubricated .If money was no object you could loose the bike gearbox and make a converter shaft to drive the standard matiz gearbox.Would be even more ideal ,You could even have the engine in the right place and looking fairly standard

JRL

Yes fiat 126 ! or classic fiat 500 something crap and retro. Personally id love to see a smart roadster with a bike engine conversion they are 800kg and can be picked up very cheap now.

Simes
Yes fiat 126 ! or classic fiat 500 something crap and retro. Personally id love to see a smart roadster with a bike engine conversion they are 800kg and can be picked up very cheap now.

Been done, gsxr Smart and Huyabusa Smart check YouTube for videos!

unariciflocos

Having rolled a Matiz over I wouldn't do it :D.

JRL
Been done, gsxr Smart and Huyabusa Smart check YouTube for videos!

I have seen loads of small fiats converted at santa pod and a smart for two done but not the sportier roadster it has a lower centre of gravity so would be ideal!

Cameron
Having rolled a Matiz over I wouldn't do it :D.

Can't be worse than a standard 205, can it? :o

muddatrucker

Do it, it sounds mental.

unariciflocos
Can't be worse than a standard 205, can it? :D

With its 155 R13 tires, narrower wheelbase, increased height and a suspension that I assume is not as developed as the 205s', I'd say it is worse. I drove one for a year and a half at a job I had during Uni. 800 cc engine, 3 pistons, 105 mph top speed (tested several times, limiter in fifth... I was young), but a pretty decent city car overall. Turning the AC on usually had a better effect at slowing the car down than the brakes did. :o

I rolled it during an overtake on the outside in a close to 90 degree bend. Survived quite well, they repaired it, but I couldn't bring myself to drive it in anger afterwards.

Ryan

The big problem with bike engines in cars is the lack of torque. In a 150kg bike you can just use the revs to overcome the weight, but in a 900kg car you end up having to drive with your foot to the floor in every gear and really thrash the engine within an inch of it's life. Consequently the engines don't last long, and you end up having to rebuild or replace them fairly often.

Ludi

:D:o:D :D :D :D :D

Excelent idea. B)

Cameron
With its 155 R13 tires, narrower wheelbase, increased height and a suspension that I assume is not as developed as the 205s', I'd say it is worse. I drove one for a year and a half at a job I had during Uni. 800 cc engine, 3 pistons, 105 mph top speed (tested several times, limiter in fifth... I was young), but a pretty decent city car overall. Turning the AC on usually had a better effect at slowing the car down than the brakes did. :o

I rolled it during an overtake on the outside in a close to 90 degree bend. Survived quite well, they repaired it, but I couldn't bring myself to drive it in anger afterwards.

I think you misunderstood me. :D

I mean, it can't be worse in terms of roof crushing etc when you roll.

Baz

Why not do a 205 then? They don't weigh much more!

But again as mentioned, you really need less weight than that with a bike engine.

jackherer

How about an Aixam...?

400KG-550KG which will work with a bike engine a bit better I imagine.

Rob Turbo

They don't seem to be going as cheap as the matiz though, the whole idea is cheap, if/when it breaks it doesn't matter, I could do it as a "proper" project, and spend money on it, but then I'd think carefuly about which car I use, where abouts in the car the engine would be, and how it drives the wheels.

But at the same time I think I shouldn't do the matiz in a cobbled together fasion because it will break and I will loose money quickly, but if I do it properly I should at least get my money back!

JRL

I did a quick search on google for curb weight.

Fiat 500 (classic) 499 kg

Fiat 126 520 kg

classic mini 600kg

Smart for two 730 kg

smart roadster 790 kg

Daewoo Matiz 796 kg

205 gti 900kg

Which ever conversion you do I would love to see a project thread I saw a classic 500 with a bike engine and the acceleration and sound was brilliant. With petrol on the rise again it sounds like a good idea.

Cameron

Good luck getting any of the first 3!

Go with the Daewoo, it'll be hilarious.

Daviewonder

You've got my vote. Flat cap and driving gloves on the parcel shelf ftw :)