• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt205

1.6 Gti Refurb And Upgrade For Track

Matt205

My (faded) Cherry Red 1.6 GTI isn't in bad shape (but far from anything special). It has complete service history and only 1 owner for the first 20 years of its life. I hope this thread documents the project I’m starting, so initially the first post will provide an overview of my intensions.

I had always intended to refresh the car to focus on recreational road use and occasional track use, but with the intention of leaving it fairly standard. So my initial intention was refurb all the tired bits, focusing mainly on suspension and brakes first and then engine and ancillary as necessary (it currently smokes too much, hoses have seen better days etc). This would then allow for a dedicated track car in the near future. This was the plan as recently as last week!

I've decided to deviate from this plan, as I can't justify buying another 'toy' to my wife, although she is also a petrol head, I don’t have ‘management’ signoff for owning multiple 205s. Therefore this project aims to create a car that is more track and performance focused, but remains usable on the road. The first phase of the work will focus on a general suspension and brake overhaul and upgrade. At this point I intend to put it back on the road for a few weeks and test it out on the track. I'll then undertake a second phase of work to undertake an engine swap, which will probably be a GTI6 lump and installation of a roll cage. I had a massive accident (rolling a V70 T5 5 or 6 times) in Dec 09 so I’m keen to improve the safety when converting into a pocket rocket.

I have considered a bare shell rebuild, including acid bath or sandblasting and re-spray, but this has been discounted.

Phase 1: I expect to fit the following (but not limited to):

Suspension: -30mm springs, Bilstein Grp N tarmac dampers, solid rear mounts, renewed ARB bushes, wishbone bushes, new linkages etc.

Brakes: Braided hoses, uprated pads and discs TBC. At this point I may decide to upgrade to support engine swap (once I’ve decided on the engine), this would include driveshaft changes etc

Others: uprated gear linkages and uprated engine mounts

Phase 2: I expect to fit the following (but not limited to):

Engine/Transmission: Currently thinking is GTI6 conversion, but keeping an open mind at the moment, Silicone hoses

Others: uprated gear linkages and uprated engine mounts (if not already done), considering whether to run fuel and brake lines through the inside of the ‘shell.

Interior: Roll cage to be fitted and probably new seats.

Timescales: No comment!

Work Environment: Unfortunately I’m unable to get the car in a garage, but it is on hard standing and out the way. I have a small outbuilding that I’ll be using for any work off the car. This has a bench and vice installed.

Here are a few recent pictures of the car before any work has started.

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

DSC_1875.jpg

The rear beam has been removed from the ‘shell and is being overhauled by Tom Fenton (thanks Tom), I’ll post separately with some beam pics.

Matt205

As I mentioned in my first post, Tom Fenton has overhauled the beam for me. I don't have a press (or access to one) so I decided it made sense to tap into Tom's experience for the rear beam refurb. The photos show how completely knackered the shafts and beam tube were. Due to the state of the beam tube, as replacement was sourced from the scrappy.

OldShaft1.jpg

OldShaft2.jpg

OldRearBeamCrossTube.jpg

New shafts:

mattbeam2011002.jpg

Next I will be changing the handbrake cables, brake cylinder and shoes as I already have these in 'stock' and it seems like the right thing to do whilst it is all being stripped. I have ordered new bump stops as one of mine is long gone, so once I recieve them I'll fit them and the beam back to the car.