• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Loose Hand Luke

Vtr Engine Advice

Loose Hand Luke

Hopefully a quick one for someone to answer.

I picked up a complete 1600 engine today but am not sure which TU5 version it is.

Features are:

1600 8v from Saxo VTR

Silver top

Fuel rail with only one tube/pipe connection and no regulator?

Ignition seems to be one long black plastic cover containing the coil which fits straight on the top of the plugs

Inlet is single Solex throttle body on a black plastic inlet plenum and runners.

I've not got car reg or vin number info.

Any help identifying it would be great. :(

RossD

Post up the engine code - 3 letters found alongside the engine number. We'll be able to tell you for sure then! More like likely starts NF and then another letter.

Loose Hand Luke

Right, I can't find the engine number, most likely due to rust?

But after some research, I've got a 1998-2001 Silver top engine.

Like this one:

vtr90bhpsilvertop-vi.jpg

(Pic borrowed from saxperience website)

I've also managed to get an early "Black top" big square ECU, and a pair of '98-'01 single plug ecu's.

Which is going to be the best ecu to make a loom up for to get it to work in my old 205 Rallye?

I think both the newer ecu's will be classed as "locked" as I've not got any of the security parts like coded key etc.

welshpug

single plug will be easier to wire into a 205, not sure on actual differences in the engines though.

FPR on the later engines are mounted on the fuel pump.

RossD

Engine number is on the block, facing the front of the car. Look between the exhaust downpipe and thermostat housing, below the engine lifting point.

Loose Hand Luke

Ah, yes Ross, the flat area that you have described is where I thought the number would be, but the only part of the block that is badly corroded... you've guessed it... is that flat area. I wire brushed it down today and there's nothing left of the code.

Welshpug, the Fuel rail on this engine only has one input pipe and no outlet, meaning the fuel coming in has to be the right working pressure already, so I presume I have the later type you've mentioned that has the FPR in the tank.

I'm guessing that some 106's and 306's also have this setup, so if I can't find a VTR pump with integral FPR in the local scrappy, I might be able to pinch one from those other cars?

welshpug

would imagine swapping the fuel rail for the earlier type wouldn't be a big job.