• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cheesegrater

Removing Abs

cheesegrater

Hi all, how difficult is it to remove the ABS system completely from the engine bay? Is it a case of removing the block and linking the pipes together?

Cheers,

Tom.

monkee87

You do mean from a 205 right? The standard rubbish system? If you do, I've literately done this like a month ago. :)

large

A nice helpful reply, why did you just not type, not very! Or Very hard!

monkee87

Ha, miss read a little.. :) It's not overly hard, the hardest thing to take out is the bracket that holds the pump in place. :blush:

It's just a case of putting a new master cylinder on and re doing the pipework to the wheels.

ORB

I have been thinking about this.

What is different with the mechanical parts? Hubs? Calipers? and so on?

Or is it all the same but with a reluctor ring on the drive shaft and a hole in the hub for a VR sensor?

Daviewonder

What made you remove the abs, was it broken or just s*ite?

monkee87
What made you remove the abs, was it broken or just s*ite?

It's crap. Only does the front wheels, comes in too late and locks the brakes anyway. B)

monkee87
I have been thinking about this.

What is different with the mechanical parts? Hubs? Calipers? and so on?

Or is it all the same but with a reluctor ring on the drive shaft and a hole in the hub for a VR sensor?

Only thing you really need to do is take out the pump, fit a new master cylinder and re do all the brake lines.

All the other bits are essentially the same, just slight differences. The drive shafts have teeth and the hubs have sensors in them. The compensators on the rear are different too.

I went for the whole lot though. Swapped the driveshafts and hubs. Took out the wiring loom and ecu as it's separate to the actual ecu. Pretty easy tbh. You don't need to remove the compensator things on the rear unless you want to. Just make sure the spring part is free or they won't work properly.. You'll probably have to adjust the push rod in the servo slightly too.

That's about it. :)

Why don't you think of fitting a 306 Abs system? It's fairly easy to do, and it actually does all 4 wheels! :D

vern

What did you do with the hubs and driveshafts? :ph34r:

tomcolinjones

im guessing he changed them for non abs ones for whatever model he has. i.e base model / 1.6/1.9

monkee87

Sorry, they're gone!

Anthony

It's straight forward enough to remove, if a reasonable amount of work time wise.

You can leave the existing driveshafts and hubs if you want, along with the rear compensators assuming that they still work properly. You need to remove the pump and bracket, remove the ECU and loom that runs the whole length of the car, and preferably replace the MC to avoid having to T the lines. The solid brake lines will all need to be redone, but that's no bad thing if they're original as they're probably badly rusted in places by now anyway. If you do replace the rear compensators, you'll need new flexis and the brackets for them. You'll also need to find something to fill the hole left in the bulkhead.

That said, if the system still works, I would personally keep it until such time as it doesn't if the car is a daily-driver.

cheesegrater

Cheers for the advice. The system doesn't work and I thought whilst the engines out I may as well get rid of it, weight saving n all ;)

ORB

Thread Revival!!!

I am about to swap out my ABS system and replace all the lines.

I have a few more Q's.

I am away from the car at the moment (at work) so I cant look at it to work it out.

I am worried about the compensator/regulator thing, and what I need to do? I assume the only compensator my car has is the stupid spring thing located on the inner wing of the passenger side? If so, what pipe goes where?

What is the best way to go about it ?

Thanks

Anthony

If you car is a proper ABS model then it should have one compensator per side on the rear beam. These could be retained if you wish, or you could revert back to the non-ABS style - probably easier with 1.9 non-ABS type as your shell won't have the bracket for the 1.6 compensator on the inner wing.

ORB

Yeah, my car has factory ABS - so I just pipe upto the original compensator and locate diagonals on the Master Cylinder for each pipe??

Sounds easy and I can remove all the crap!

2-Pugs

And would you be kind enough to save all the 'crap' you remove and sell it to me, mister B? ;-)

Same goes for anyone else that has removed it or is planning to do so.

I fully understand anyone that removes it but me and my 1FM-compadres don't have much choice, with wanting to keep the cars as original as possible and spare parts for the systems are very hard to come by these days.

Please drop me PM if you have any stuff. Master cylinder and rear compensators, especially!

Edited by 2-Pugs

marksorrento205

And would you be kind enough to save all the 'crap' you remove and sell it to me, mister B? ;-)

Same goes for anyone else that has removed it or is planning to do so.

I fully understand anyone that removes it but me and my 1FM-compadres don't have much choice, with wanting to keep the cars as original as possible and spare parts for the systems are very hard to come by these days.

Please drop me PM if you have any stuff. Master cylinder and rear compensators, especially!

Pm'd :)