• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Number Plates That Fit In The Bumper Recess

johnnyboy666

does any body know a place that does number plates in the right size for the recess in the front bumper, without having to attack one with a stanley knife and innevitable cutting my fingers off?

and is it legal to have one that size? obviously numbers/letters would be the same size, just less excess plate at each end

cheers

Daviewonder

I'm pretty sure a different size plate will be illegal but you might be lucky and it might not even get noticed. Theres a company on eBay that make up number plates in any size you request, they can also do the digits in any size and font too.

Wes

aslong as the numbers and letters are legally sized and spaced you can cut down the excess, there has to be an 11mm minimum border all the way around.

Edited by wes205mi

Baz

Just trim it down. B)

allye

If you buy ANY plate of ebay it is illegal to use on the road! I have seen a couple of people on here just trim them down, I think its looks a little wierd though even just a little smaller!

GLPoomobile

WTF? Where does that idea come from?

How can all plates from eBay be illegal? If they comply with the guidelines, which I believe you can find on the DVLA website, then that's all that matters. Sure, most places that do custom plates (not just on eBay) will be selling plates that are not legal for road use (and will usually add the disclaimer that they are "for show use only"), but they can also do you a set of totally standard and legal plates if that's you want.

allye

I was under the impression there post code had to be displayed of where it was printed and you had to present your V5 to the people printing them as this is what a number of my local factors do.

dale205mills

My plate is trimed down and it was like that when I brought it and nerver had no problems. you will only be triming a tiny bit any way and that is no where near the post code.

Henry Yorke

post-3457-1297981034_thumb.jpg

I had one made up and then cut the ends off it. I've never had any problems with it (though I swap it for an H70 RKE one at MOT times). As has been said you just have to have the required spacing round the edges. As long as you don't fill them with screws, GB logos and put "F**k da Police" on the bottom of them then you should be ok :)

allye

I'v never actually laid eyes on your CTI henry and..... :o what a beaut!

Edit : that number plate - you tart :)

Edited by allye

welshpug
I was under the impression there post code had to be displayed of where it was printed and you had to present your V5 to the people printing them as this is what a number of my local factors do.

Yup, that's correct.

harryskid

F**k me that's worst than the BBC all those repeats. :) Nice car though Henry :o

Obey_R

I've just cut one down at work (motorfactor - make numberplates) and I took a normal LNNN LLL plate and cut the sides so that there was 11mm on each side and it's a pefrect fit in the recess. No need to mess about with spaces or font size.

So any legal plate made up on eBay, local motorfactor etc, if you cut the sides down to leave 11mm each side it will fit.

johnnyboy666

splendid, im tempted to just cut down the plate already on there, but then i'll have an extra set of holes. off to ebay i go!

GLPoomobile

I didn't know about the requirement for the supplier name and postcode, but that's because I've never owned a car with plates made after 2001, or had any plates made up :rolleyes: . I can't see why that would be a problem for any online supplier (such as eBay). They are still operating legitimate businesses for the most part, and should still be able to put the necessary details on the plate to make it legal.

allye
I didn't know about the requirement for the supplier name and postcode, but that's because I've never owned a car with plates made after 2001, or had any plates made up :rolleyes: . I can't see why that would be a problem for any online supplier (such as eBay). They are still operating legitimate businesses for the most part, and should still be able to put the necessary details on the plate to make it legal.

I would think the idea behind producing your V5 is stop anyone getting plates for cloning etc, however it quite obviosuly doesn't work - with all the online suppliers!

muddatrucker

You need your V5 if you want 'road legal plates' but by them saying they're for show use only, they can sell you them without the v5, once you've got the plates they're legal though - its just exploiting a loophole.

pug_ham
Just trim it down. :(

+1

I bought my plates online (not ebay) but had to provide a copy of the V5 to get them.

Graham.

Obey_R

To bring this back - I said earlier that trimmed down to 11mm each side fits perfectly is still legal, here's mine...

almostfinished.jpg

It is a standard size plate, LNNN LLL, made to UK regs. but trimmed down and filed to smooth the corners.

Edited by Obey_R

flipperthebushkangaroo

just found this on tinterweb

"Post September 2001

Characters must be 79mm high and 50mm wide with a stroke of 14mm.Inter-character gap is 11mm and the space between the two parts of the registration number is 33mm.The only font allowed is based on the "Charles Wright" font.

Once again these regulations apply to number plates FITTED after September 2001 .So your car could be 1974 but it would still need to comply IF THE NUMBER PLATES ARE CHANGED.

It has never been legal to use screws etc to alter the appearance of the characters on the plate and the only other option when buying them is the EU emblem with a national flag e.g. Saltire.

To make all this enforceable every number plate suppliers must be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency and must show his name and post code on each number plate he supplies.

In addition you must supply proof of I.D.when buying plates ( preferrably a photocard driving licence ) and also proof that the number is yours( V5 registration document ( log book) , V750 (pink) or V778 (green) certificate for the registration number, V11 vehicle licence renewal, or V948).

The supplier must keep records of all the above and make them available to the police if requested."

but as our cars were all registered before 2001 and we all look after them so well can anyone prove the plate was fitted after 2001 if it is not dated? i know mine is older than that :)

hope this helps

Roddie

wellsyuk

Hello,

How long is the recess to get one made up. My car is about 20 mile away in storage lol. Any help be appreciated.

Thanks Guys

Tom Fenton

I have done this on my car.

HOWEVER, I think it does depend on the actual number on the plate - mine has two "1's" in it, so the text is quite short anyway. Thus by trimming each side down it still looks in proportion - see pic.

Other ones I have seen - like the pic of the red car on page 1 - look a little to cramped up for my liking.

205turbo002-11.jpg

feb

aslong as the numbers and letters are legally sized and spaced you can cut down the excess, there has to be an 11mm minimum border all the way around.

+1

That's what I did in my previous sorrento.

Shave off the excess.

I don't think there was 11mm border to the edge but I never had a problem.

IMG_0748.jpg

Edited by feb

jason7579

After looking at this thread I armed myself with my saw and a sremel and attacked my number plate today.

What is the best way to repair holes in the bumpers from removing screws?

paul205mi16

Sorry to bring this up again. But,No one actually posted the size of the plates after they had been cut to fit in the recess, That info would be handy.