• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
justinv

205 Calipers Vs 405 Mi16 Calipers

justinv

Are the 205 calipers at the back the same as the 405 mi16 ( not 4wd )?

Batfink

some may have but I think the 405 had the same as whats fitted to the 307 and newer models.

Tom Fenton

They are different, the 405 uses a Girling rear caliper that is similar to that used on VAG stuff of the same era. The 205 rear caliper is a Bendix unit.

welshpug

what Tom said, the handbrake lever differs to a golf unit, but otherwise the same unit as the 405.

205/309/306/zx/xsara/R5/Clio/R9 and a few others share the Bendix rear caliper, beware that there are 30mm and 32mm pistons, 205 used 30mm, higher spec 306 zx and xsara used 32mm, not sure on the renault range.

smithy

welshpug your knowledge of french cars is truly outstanding,how do you remember all the details like piston sizes per model?

welshpug

By checking servciebox and other replacement parts catalogues when looking at what parts cross-reference through the ranges to see waht bits I can pilfer from what vehicles to keep mine and others on the road.

A good idea considering there aren't many gti's around in the breakers, and the 205 is slowly disappearing from some parts catalogues.