• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
All Praise The GTI

Changing Rear Wheel Bearing

All Praise The GTI

i know its not a 205 but its newer bigger brother :lol:

my new astor 6 :wub: has a rear bearing gone i believe, never changed a rear before so abit confused how to do it. theres kits availiable with the hub and abs ring on but bloody expensive!! :( also seen just bearings on ebay. someone elaborate please and any ideas wheres best/cheapest place to buy??

thanks

Tom Fenton

Rear brg is the same as a 1.9 205 in that the brg and hub comes as one, you cannot change the brg separately no matter what eBay will have you believe. Do not buy GSF crap either, you basically get what you pay for. All the above assumes the 306 has rear disc brakes.

All Praise The GTI

yep gti6 so discs. where do you recommened tom?

Anthony

Wheel bearing swap is easy enough and usually takes about 15-20 minutes or so, depending how stubborn the inner part of the bearing is to remove from the stub axle (more often than not it doesn't come off with the bearing, and needs to be removed seperately). You'll need a hub puller and a 32mm socket to remove the hubnut itself.

That said, are you sure it's the wheel bearing at fault? 306 rear beams are failing regularly now (no surprise given they're the same basic design as a 205/309 one but even more heavily loaded) so check that noises/play aren't from the beam.

Miles

The last Motaquip one I had was SKF so very good,

I tend to push the stub axle pin out as it's save mucking around with puller's etc

All Praise The GTI

Where can I get a motaquip one from? And is there a guide for pushing the stub axle out way? Thanks

welshpug

from a motaquip dealer :rolleyes:

ECP do SKF, Orbis and SNR.

Daviewonder

Anyone have any experience with BRT bearings?

All Praise The GTI

found one motaquip one on ebay 53.50 delivered :)

but cant tell which side is making the noise and theres no play as far as i can tell so might need another :P

cant find anywhere else that does motaquip tho??

everywhere trying sell me firstline ones for 70 ish :(

any suggestions??

welshpug

try Motaparts, theyre a pug/citroen dealer up in Cumbria that do Motaquip online, otherwise try ECP or any local motorfactor.

to find which is noisy just jack it up and spin them, may be easier with the disc removed and turn the hub itself by hand and listen closely.

jord294

i've got an excellent 2nd hand one here if your interested :)

Carl Chambers

I have 4 good ones on a rear beams here, and can show you how the get the inner race off.

will even tell you which side is gone if your lucky! :lol:

Edited by GKZ 206

All Praise The GTI

bugger slightly too late on that one too carl :lol: lol

you can stil tell me how to identify which is gone tho if you know a trick? got a feeling both might be iffy tho so arranged another just incase as got lots miles to do friday :D

Carl Chambers

Well you spin them as welshy says, I would have shown you for free if you were coming over to buy one.

but I have broken 6 306 GTi-6 so if you ever want anything its worth asking! lol!

hcmini1989

Hi as others have said just raise the wheel and spin it which ever one sounds rough or has any sort of play in then you know its gone.And as for the inner race theres a few ways of doing them .I,e knocking the stub axle out .Or grind them right down at one point dont go all the way through though and give it a crack with a chisel usually they just split ,Or if you can get behind it grind a grove into it and knock it off with a chisel this is where air chisels are handy because normaly they fly off.

Hope this helps

All Praise The GTI

neither has play or a noticeable noise spinning with wheels off the ground

just a drone when cruising :lol:

hcmini1989
neither has play or a noticeable noise spinning with wheels off the ground

just a drone when cruising :(

Tough one mate then .Take a guess then or get someone in the back and see which side the noise is greatest and go for it .The bonus is if you`ve picked the wrong side and you got the bearing off without pulling it to bits just bang it on the other side (I dont think there sided)

Daviewonder

Put your ear against the body of the car when you spin the wheel, you should be able to hear the droning through the body.

jord294

i supplied a rear abs hub to the thread starter. it was removed properly using my hydraulic press, and i even re-packed it with fresh grease. but now there seems to be an issue with the goods i have supplied

the hub in question, came from a gti6 which i broke (it had engine damage and 11 months test)

i am a member of many peugeot forums, and am not here to sell or supply mis-described items. all previous dealings i have had with forum members (on here and other forums) have always led to positive feedback :P

all praise the gti is questioning my honesty, saying i ripped him off! but i have doubts as to wether the bearing was refitted properly

we are trying to resolve this through pm's, but he has told me if he doesn't get a refund, he is going to take this further

pug_ham

Rear Wheel Bearings - How Do You Change Them?

cant find anywhere else that does motaquip tho??

Possibly because they are only sold through Motaquip dealers or Motaparts?

Unless you have one in your area, you'll struggle to find Motaquip from anyone else imo.

Motaquip

Motaquip ecat

motaparts

Graham.

welshpug

some pug/citroen dealers will sell you motaquip (Motaparts are just that)