• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dam

1.9 Gti Help

dam

I've got a couple of niggles with the pug that I could do with sorting out. I have searched the forum quite a bit but not come with anything concrete as yet (feel free to point me in the right direction). Most of waht I've read seems to point the same things all the time but waht I don't want to do is get it all apart and then start asking more questions.

Although I've had the car for around 6 years it's only made it onto the road in the last couple of month. It had some issue's with have been rectified but the engine was pretty sound before hand.

1. Getting a lot of smoke out of the exhaust as car warms up. It's started to use a bit of oil aswell so I was thinking head gasket but not got any milk. Would valve seals have same effect?

2. Car seems to run quite hot although temp gauge shows normal but fans likes to be on a lot once warm.

3. Gear stick does it's own thing. Would changing the linkage rods and possibly the ball joint at the base of the bulkhead cure this?

4. Rev counter doesn't work. I gather the grey wire is usual suspect but what else might stop it from working.

I have a couple of other problems aswell but I think they would be better suited to a different section.

Thanks

Anthony

1. White smoke when warming up is normal in cold weather - it's just condensation in the exhaust burning off. If it's not losing coolant then I wouldn't worry about the head gasket. Oil loss is likely to be worn stem seals if they've never been changed - a puff of blue smoke on overrun and an oily smell when idling (both when hot) are the usual tale-tale.

2. So long as the coolant temp guage is reading less than half under normal circumstances and doesn't ever get over three quarters, I wouldn't worry too much. If in any doubt, the various coolant system parts (radiator, thermostat and fan switch) are all cheap enough to swap for peace of mind.

3. Gear linkages are a common one, but check the bushes (and replace - they're cheap) and that the L-pivot and subframe balljoint are both tight. Between the three it'll make the world of difference.

4. Could be the rev counter itself has failed - otherwise, check the fuses are all OK.

Miles

Can be the Guides too on 8v engines as they do wear quicky but they have a large valve head to control but nothing serious really and if running OK just keep an eye on it

Coolant guage's are always different, Some 205's run 1/4 way round, other's around 1/2, but maybe worth flushing the coolent out as the blocks do get allot of silt in them furtest away from the waterpump.

Linkages are the most common thing along with the ball joint on the Subframe

lucas_lfc

I just thought id jump in here and ask.

does anyone know anywhere online i can get teh valve stem seals, or a code number for them please?

jord294
I just thought id jump in here and ask.

does anyone know anywhere online i can get teh valve stem seals, or a code number for them please?

pretty sure i have spare stem seals in my stores :ph34r:

dam

Thanks for the replies.

Smoke only starts once it gets warm and then gets worse the longer the car runs especially on idle and overrun. It is pretty bad though. My concern is that it didn't smoke before the car got pulled apart so wondered if it was possible for seal to go while stood.

I suspect the radiator is on it's last legs to be honest. I put a new stat in before it got fired up. Gauge runs at just over half way and fan cuts in where i'd expect but stays on a lot and will stay for around 5 minutes after the engine is turned off especially id it's been idling beforehand, which seems a little long to me.

dam

Forgot to ask, where is the best place(s) to get bushes for the gear linkage?

Tom Fenton

From your description of the smoking it certainly sounds like valve stem oil seals to me. They do go hard over time.

pug_ham
Forgot to ask, where is the best place(s) to get bushes for the gear linkage?

Peugeot for the original bushes or Baker Bushes & Mountings for an uprated works style kit with phosphur bronze bushes.

Graham.

dam

Thanks, I look the look of the BBM kit.

Sign in to follow this