• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

[project] The Ultimate Track 205

alexcrosse

I look fit in that photo... I would.

alexcrosse

Buffness....

292616_10150893473284330_509954329_9624946_781137147_n.jpg

Cameron

Space Frame Club!

The first rule of SFC: cut your floor out. Make it so!

Liquid_106

I look fit in that photo... I would.

This thread's gone very ghay all of a sudden gay.gif

More building updates please!!! :P

alexcrosse

jealous of our looks? lol.

the floor will come out, but sills remain as ill need to remake the tunnel for the propshaft (sheet metal roller ftw).

...shame cos the floors mint!

Edited by alexcrosse

Cameron

No such thing as mint on a Mini. :lol:

Building updates will come in the next few weeks, there'll probably be a few garage updates between now and then as I need to make a new workbench and get everything set out. Nothing can happen until I have a new measuring pad made though, so that's gonna be a high priority!

welshpug

Mint like a Polo mint? :P

clen666

I can see myself getting very jealous as you furnish the workshop, I can't even stretch to decent shelving for my garage at the mo!

alexcrosse

there is if u spend 3 weeks repairing the floor... just to then cut it out and tunnel it for a propshaft.

Cameron

Man up, just sayin'..

the matt

Alex, you're going RWD? When were you going to tell me? :P

Moving in with Alex means you'll end up in the garage until the small hours, or even beyond the small hours. Good work. I wouldn't have got my Mini finished if it wasn't for him TBH.

Cameron

He's going 4WD like a massive overweight power wasting gayboy. :lol:

Rippthrough

Could have been worse, he could have been aiming for FWD to start with like a pansy :D

alexcrosse

I've been in SWB RWD cars thanks ;)

Cameron

Could have been worse, he could have been aiming for FWD to start with like a pansy :D

Well this is awkward.. Al, what was you original plan for the Mini? :lol:

Sam

Blimey, this is looking a bit special!

• Like 1

alexcrosse

Basically my plan is always the same as yours, and then whenever I change my mind you copy me ;)

Cameron

Haha yeah you can think that all you want! :D

We had a bit of a shuffle around at the unit last night and came up with a pretty good plan for the layout. We'll be building a big level concrete platform for both cars to sit on and setting some steel beams into them so we can bolt stands & fixtures down - watch this space. :)

Cameron

Picked up this little box of beauties today! :D

DSC02659.jpg

• Like 1

welshpug

noice, how scary was the price?

Cameron

Just over 4 figures with the VAT. It's one of the first ones they've made and I think is the first Exhaust side mounted one. I had a good chat with one of the guys and will most likely be getting a set of their direct to head throttle bodies later in the build. :D

Mad Scientist

Those pumps sound better designed than the Pace one. Not cast either, which is nice!

The billet sump is a work of art too, and reason on its own to use a gayboy ford engine! They wanted £1500 for the pan for an XU, as they arent putting them into production, and they would have to do a one off.

Cameron

Yeah the guy I spoke to used to work at Pace, he'd improved on their design to make this pump apparently, the same goes for the sump pan internals. It really is an awesome piece of kit and very well priced!

The guy also showed me their throttle bodies and I was very impressed! As a piece of design they're awesome, and the reasoning behind their slightly unusual butterflies makes a great deal of sense, so it's looking like I'll be going down that route at a later date! By that time the build should be quite advanced (the engine is last on my list!) so I might be in a good place to talk about some sort of sponsorship. :)

Cameron

Moar!

Ok so it's not progress on the car as I'm still pimping out the unit ready to get started, but it's starting to look pretty decent in there so I thought I'd share, and everyone loves a garage build! :D

The one downside to our unit is that the circuit breakers for the whole site are on the front wall, so we need to allow access to them at all times. Not that we don't trust the site owner or anything, but we can't control who comes in or out and to be honest the front doors are pretty damn flimsy anyway! So we decided to put in a partition wall that allows enough wiggle room to reach the breakers, but with a door for the rest of the unit that only we own keys to.

I got busy today and put the thing in place - looks pretty good!

DSC02660.jpg

It's absolutely solid too! Bolted to the concrete slab and to the front wall so you'll tear the unit down before you knock it over. :lol:

There's 5 hinges per door on the front side (doors open outwards) which are also welded in. The wall will extend from this to the far wall, covering the breakers, but we'll leave a little gap so you can access to the tap from the inside. We'll also install a normal sized fire door / heavy wood front door into the left hand one, so we can then have the main doors completely locked up from the inside and much quicker access. Anyway, once this is finished I just need to get the big false floor / measuring platform in (big enough for 2 cars this time!) and a good workbench, then it's all-out on the chassis!

The chassis design is well on it's way now; I have the front end designed in full, with wishbone and rocker / shock mounts all confirmed, I just need to do the same for the rear then it's tube order time!

Edited by Cameron