• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MerlinGTI

May I Suggest.....

MerlinGTI

Oh your excited arnt you <_< Read the title and expecting 10bhp from removing a bolt? Sadly not quite, but....

Pop off your oil filler cap, remove the metal gauze inside it and throw it in the bin. Ta Da! done.

I bought an engine for spares ages ago, stripped it and noticed everything was FUBAR. The crank had score marks deeper than the wrinkles in my sack and I kept finding tiny bits of wire brush like material everywhere.

I thought at the time 'I bet someone has had a go at de-coking the tops of the pistons insitu with a wire brush drill thingy' or something along them lines.

But no! its the ticking time bomb that is the metal gauze. Slowly degrading over time, rusting and falling apart into your oil. If your extra lucky you may find a small nail through the gauze holding its shape. Genius.

I realise a lot of people have already ditched the gauze, but this is for those that havent!

Its a shame I didnt take piccys really.

swordfish210

I think it was Ed Cherry showed me the inside of his oil pump that was full of metal from the oil gauze, quite disturbing.

Miles

I'd buy a new Oil Tower as well, this is lined with the same stuff, It should be there really.

EdCherry
I think it was Ed Cherry showed me the inside of his oil pump that was full of metal from the oil gauze, quite disturbing.

Indeed I did, however it seems the engine hasn't suffered much damage luckily!

Not a big fan of the whole oil assembly to be honest, to many points to go wrong etc etc but hey, its what peugeot gave us and a mighty fine car it is...

couple of beers, vodkas and whiskey sorry! :rolleyes:

feb

So what's the point of the wire mesh underneath the filler cap?

I remember the first time I saw mine I was surprised.

swordfish210
So what's the point of the wire mesh underneath the filler cap?

I remember the first time I saw mine I was surprised.

I guess to stop any large chunks of crud falling down the pot

Baz

It's a fume trap, it prevents combustable gases from re-entering the inlet system.

As Miles said it's not just in the top, the inside is also lined with it.

Bogsye

Yep, when I stripped my engine the oil strainer had quite a bit of debris from the gauze in the tower - I'm sure I have photos in my project topic.

The gauze itself was totally bound in the dried deposit that collects there, and to be fair the whole breather system probably was very compromised by this.

Think it was about £12 for a new tower. Would be better if they had used some form of safer plastic gauze rather than a stainless steel material.

Brian

Bogsye

Here we are.....

Part way down the page at post #15 are some photos of what I found in mine.

Inside the filler cap there wasn't any gauze as I recall - just the tower itself had gauze.

Oil Filler!

Brian

MerlinGTI

Anyone considered turning up a nice aluminium tower with a screw on cap? :)

Id buy one!

smithy
Anyone considered turning up a nice aluminium tower with a screw on cap? :)

Id buy one!

i would buy one also.

removing the wire from cap is a good idea to stop transfer in to sump but that is not really possible for the filler neck,so what about a magnetic sump plug to catch anything that drops and act as early warning of the problem when doing oil change?

MerlinGTI

If you buy a new sump plug from pug now they are magnetic anyway :) the same plug fits the gearbox drain also :) (well does on a Mi Be3, pretty sure all the be's run the same plug)

An alloy tower with no mesh at all should be fine if you run a catch tank. Most people on here seem to, myself included.

Tom Fenton

I did think about making an alloy tower, but given how cheap the plastic one is I did not bother.

I could make one if people wanted, but the alloy cap and neck is not cheap to start with, and that is before making the rest of it.

MerlinGTI

What do you think ballpark price Tom, just to give us a rough idea?

Tom Fenton

I'll have to look into it and price material up, I'll fo this when I get chance.

Does anyone have a decent pic of the standard setup, as I don't use all the pipe outlets on my turbo car.

Baz
removing the wire from cap is a good idea to stop transfer in to sump but that is not really possible for the filler neck...

Why not? It's pretty easy to dis-assemble and remove all the mesh.

MerlinGTI
I'll have to look into it and price material up, I'll fo this when I get chance.

Does anyone have a decent pic of the standard setup, as I don't use all the pipe outlets on my turbo car.

4712490084_bd69567974_b.jpg

Stolen from Bogsye's rebuild thread. :)

Im thinking no outlets on the cap itself (not pictured) so people can drill and tapp barbs on to their own requirements. I will need 2x 10mm barbs for my catch tank setup, others with different config's will obviously need different amounts and sizes.

EDIT: IIRC that open ended bracket does naff all, so that can be left out :ph34r:

Edited by MerlinGTI

Miles

You want one of these, catch tank and filler all in one, Makes the engine bay look allot neater instead of the horrid filler tower

post-43-1294076300_thumb.jpg

MerlinGTI

Looks cool Miles, I have a hard on for a OE tower in alloy tho :ph34r:

OEM +1 if you like :)

smithy

Oil catch can sounds like good idea used to have one on my old scooby after fitting front mount intercooler and it worked a treat not a trace of oil in intake.it was vented to atmosphere.

How have people rigged one up on the 205 with standard 1.9 lump,what way have the pipes been plumbed when using a can?

MerlinGTI

I'm vented too rather than inline.

I simply blocked off the barb on the TB + k&n pipe, then run the two barbs on the oil cap to a vented catch tank.

No mess in your inlet! No more gummed up TB either.

Edited by MerlinGTI

Anthony

Another option - assuming that they're still available from Citroen - is a ZX Volcane 1.9i filler tower setup.

It's the same fit and basic design as the 205 one, but has a proper screw-on top rather than the rubbish push-fit one a 205 has.

I have one in the garage somewhere (no its not for sale) that I can dig out and get a picture of if you like?

MerlinGTI

Yes please Anthony, that will be my plan B :)

welshpug

bummer, the main body is marked NFP, the cap and the gasket aren't though.

MerlinGTI

There goes plan B then!

Cheers WP

Sign in to follow this