• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
G727

'torque' Steer

G727

Good evening all!

Got a bit of a weird problem with my 1990 1.6 GTI on 1.9 wheels.... I was involved in a rear end shunt the other day which caused the car to spin almost 180deg. Luckily just got away with popping the bumper back in to place (phew!)

However, since then I have been experiencing torque steer whilst putting any amount of power through the front wheels. I thought at first that a track rod end was faulty but I can't find anything wrong. The car literally veers into the hedge if you touch the throttle at all. Oh, and when you brake it now pulls to the O/S.

To me this seems like a worn ball joint / suspension component. I was just wondering if it was a known fault? I am a mechanic and hate to admit defeat on this one!

Thanks in anticipation,

Sam.

Tom Fenton

Are you sure you didn't clip a kerb and bend a stub axle or knock the tracking out?

jord294

just a thought but

rear end shunt, and spin = something at rear at fault :(

Anthony

Pulling one way under power and the other way under deceleration is normally knackered wishbone bushes, although as Tom says, it does seem coincidental that it happened immediately after a spin.

G727

Thanks for the very quick reply guys. Think I am going to have to get it on my 2 post ramp tomorrow and see what's what. Just really hope it's not done anything to the chassis or the rear beam!

Just got everything working on it too! Never mind, could have been worse I guess.

shalmaneser

I guess first thing to do would be to check the alignment, know anyone with a decent laser setup?!

madspikes

Get it on the ramp and check the front ball ball joints and bushes, along with the rear beam mounts and bushing. But you knew that anyway! The shunt could have finished off a number things that were near end of life, as loadings would have been in slighty different way than normal.

Mad