• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mart Pug

Roll Cage For Road Legal Track Day 205

sam jfm

Standard seat mounts are really poor, they failed on my first rally car, ripped in two. Do Not Use

boldy205

I have often thought about my head hitting the roll cage, but surely your head is just as likely to smash through the window, severing your neck , and you bleeding to death? Just my thought !

matt.f

Nothing wrong with using normal roll cage padding,NOT pipe lagging!

Having been in my dads rallycar last year that rolled I'd never do any motorsport without one!

Rippthrough
I have often thought about my head hitting the roll cage, but surely your head is just as likely to smash through the window, severing your neck , and you bleeding to death? Just my thought !

1 more solid thing to hit.

And usually the cage is in a position you're more likely to headbutt.

Cameron

That's why window glass is tempered, it smashes into tiny pieces that are less likely to sever arteries / decapitate you etc. I'd say you're much more likely to brain yourself on the roll cage than behead yourself on broken window glass.

large
Looking for opinions / advice.

One suggestion I've had from a friend is to buy the really hard FIA foam padding, to cover the cage (or part of it, anyway), as opposed to the cheap stuff.

Nothing wrong with using normal roll cage padding,NOT pipe lagging!

Having been in my dads rallycar last year that rolled I'd never do any motorsport without one!

I would NOT use the hard FIA padding for your use. This is designed to be used with a helmet.

As above use the normal roll cage padding, not pipe lagging.

Meant to ask - can anyone confirm the other happy side effect of fitting a cage: improved handling through extra rigidity?

I had a roll cage in the car for a number of years, I removed it last year and the car felt completely different without it and not in a good way.

Cameron

Absolutely, the extra chassis stiffness will affect the handling in a big way, particularly if you have a big rear ARB. The explaination is pretty complex so I won't delve into it, but if you have a good balance with a big ARB then fit a cage you'll find it oversteers more than you're used to.

Batfink

A lot of the new race seats have head protection now. You should also have protection for your thighs from the rollcage if it does bend.

I sell these OMP RS seats.

Harnesses will limit your body movement but you can still hit the cage in some circumstances so its well worth combining this with getting the seat as low as possible. I would also look at welding the strengthening plate on the door bars like the MSA blue book

Tom Fenton

I have the older OMP RS in my 205 without the head wings, I have to say I rate them, not the absolute lightest, but hold you in well and also pretty comfy for a fibreglass bucket seat

Cameron

Any idea on the weight of those seats?