• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
thomasrally

Avo Suspension

thomasrally

Hi all

Just after a bit of feedback as I'm looking to possibly changeover from running Bilsteins on my gravel spec 205 to the AVO GTX range, the 2way adjustable ones here - http://www.avouk.com/MotorsportFrameset-84.htm

Anyone already running them here?

j_turnell

Bilsteins are much better quality in my experience, Avo's are ok but they always leak in my experience. Personally i'd stick with the billies.

welshpug

How much are you looking to spend?

Been in a few AST equipped cars of late and now have AST myself, can't fault them.

thomasrally
How much are you looking to spend?

Been in a few AST equipped cars of late and now have AST myself, can't fault them.

Not really sure to be honest, I'm just trying to way up my options at the moment, any idea roughly how much a pair of front stuts would be cant get an answer at AST UK's

welshpug

Sportline 1's are around the £600 mark I believe for the front pair, but best to speak to the guys at ATS for a specific price.

try sales@astsuspension.co.uk

Curtis does have more people working with him but I'm not sure if he's in the country and what the weather is like in Tewkesbury at the moment, a friend has a mobile number for Curtis if you need to find out if he's about or closed up for Christmas yet.

feb

I don't know about ASTs in a 205 but I was not happy with them in my Forester and I was not the only one.

In mine and a couple of other cars they also started leaking after 20k miles or so.

Edited by feb

thomasrally
I don't know about ASTs in a 205 but I was not happy with them in my Forester and I was not the only one.

In mine and a couple of other cars they also started leaking after 20k miles or so.

I've heard similar but AVO's on the other hand seem to be getting alot of praise.

tomcolinjones

Does this mean the bilsteins will be uor sale?

feb

I have not been in a 205 with Avo coilovers but I have been in Dino's car who had Avo shock absorbers IIRC and found it quite hard on pot holes, I prefered the SBC setup of mine which absorbed them better.

What is the problem you are having with the Bilsteins?

Edited by feb

thomasrally
I have not been in a 205 with Avo coilovers but I have been in Dino's car who had Avo shock absorbers IIRC and found it quite hard on pot holes, I prefered the SBC setup of mine which absorbed them better.

What is the problem you are having with the Bilsteins?

One of the inserts is slightly bent and a new pair are pretty silly money at the moment, around £380 delivered just for the inserts. I'm still waiting for a price but I think the AVO's aren't much more than that and are 2way adjustable.

Baz
I've heard similar but AVO's on the other hand seem to be getting alot of praise.

I find that hard to believe, as in my experience the damping doesn't seem to be up to much on AVO's, not quite down at Spax rankings but i don't recall ever hearing anything that amazing about them from someone that's experienced other/renowned dampers.

I'd stick with the Billies all day, they're pricey yes, but for a reason.

welshpug

I guess its because he's been browsing the britishrallyforum where they all rave about avo ^_^

BUT, they tend to be the proper competition units, which are £££££ (i.e knocking on proflex money...) not the trackday/budget rally type stuff.

feb

As above, if you are happy with the Bilsteins stick with them.

Nothing can beat a good set of shocks with a matched set of springs. My car came with coilovers, I had them rebuilt (after I found a leak) only to become worse (had too much stiction), put back a set of OE shocks (inverted type KYB ones) with Sti pink springs and the car has totally been transformed both in terms of ride quality and handling.

Saying this, the original pistons and valving of the coilovers (prior to the rebuilt) worked great on smooth roads but not on bumpy ones.

Adjustability in coilovers means if you operate outside the critical damping the car would be underdamped/overdamped and I don't see the point IMHO.

Edited by feb

welshpug

surely that adjustability means quite the opposite of that!!

(to a point, you can never adjust enough to compensate for the change from 200 to 400 Lb springs for example ^_^ ) BUT, re-valving will sort that.

feb

What I mean, if you find a setting that works well for the type of road that you usually drive on, you will hardly ever adjust the coilovers again (maybe tighten them on a trackday), hence the comment that a good set of shocks with matched springs will do the same and will not need maintenance.

AFAIK Bilsteins are inverted monotube design and can last much longer than non-inverted units with thinner pistons.

Quite a few people I have spoken to (that have had different brands of coilovers) had leaks after around 20k miles and that was on street driving.

Horses for courses though ^_^

(I may be bitter due to my past experience with them)

Whatever you choose get a ride in a car that has coilovers that you plan on buying as suspension is something completely subjective.

Edited by feb

Chris H

The think that everyone says about AVO is that they are a very good company to deal with and their aftersales support is spot on......unfourtunatly everyone seems to have to use the aftersales support for repairs/rebuilds.

My only experience of avo's was the single way adjustatble rear dampers on my 205 when i bought it.....one was ok...the other was fecked and wouldn't extend after it was fully compressed. That took a little while to sus out....only found out after a mate followed me and said my rhr wasn't moving!

thomasrally

Guys if I stick with the billies I was thinking of getting 260/60 gravel inserts with 185ib 11" springs?

Any other suggestions?