• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
buster205

Roadspeed 's' Conversion ?

buster205

hi all,

Anyone had Skip Brown conversion done on later engine (dkz)? What are the internal differences with dkz engine compared with original 130bhp 1.9 engine ?

Cheers Ste.

rob_furious

best people to ask are skip browns really.

Anthony

Doing the conversion on the engine itself won't be a problem - the issue in my mind will be whether the Motronic 1.3 management that the DKZ engine uses will cope, in particular the ignition advance (seeing as it can't be easily adjusted like it can on the earlier non-CAT engine that uses a clockwork dizzy) and emissions (as the cam is a fair amount "hotter" than the standard DKZ cam).

For what it's worth, the Skip Brown Roadspeed brouchure that I've got here makes no mention of the CAT models - only lists the conversion for 1.6 115hp -> 1.9S and 1.9 130hp -> 1.9S. Whether that's because they can't do it to the 122hp CAT engine, or because that part of the brouchure pre-dates the CAT engine being released in the UK I don't know.

As said, a phone call to SBC is probably the best thing to find out one way or the other.

buster205
Doing the conversion on the engine itself won't be a problem - the issue in my mind will be whether the Motronic 1.3 management that the DKZ engine uses will cope, in particular the ignition advance (seeing as it can't be easily adjusted like it can on the earlier non-CAT engine that uses a clockwork dizzy) and emissions (as the cam is a fair amount "hotter" than the standard DKZ cam).

For what it's worth, the Skip Brown Roadspeed brouchure that I've got here makes no mention of the CAT models - only lists the conversion for 1.6 115hp -> 1.9S and 1.9 130hp -> 1.9S. Whether that's because they can't do it to the 122hp CAT engine, or because that part of the brouchure pre-dates the CAT engine being released in the UK I don't know.

As said, a phone call to SBC is probably the best thing to find out one way or the other.

Cheers Anthony,

My car is a '91 H reg that's had the engine replaced by a previous owner with a later engine, i only found out whilst having the timing belt done because a 1991 belt wouldn't fit 113/114 teeth ? engine is marked dkz, as far as i am aware other than head and block all other items are from original engine. Jetronic, no cat etc. I,ve read on here that comp ratio is lower on dkz, I'm no engine expert but does this mean engine internals are different ?

Cheers Ste

petert

The Motronic 1.3 system copes fine with a few mods and you have the option of slipping an Mi16 chip into it, which has less advance (to cope with more CR) and a higher rev limit. I've got heaps of std. 161 Mi16 chips if you'd like to try one.

Edited by petert

Miles

There's better conversions for the money out there, I know SBC are good at what they do but evey Conversion of there's I've driven I have never thought much of, Plus they have never got the hang of over 200bhp XU engine's, the main issue is keeping the std injection, I'd ditch that first and build the engine around that.

McDude

Definitely check with SBC, but I'm fairly sure they don't because I have asked the question myself. I had a L plate 1.9 at one point and did enquire and I'm sure the answer was 'no'.

feb

As Dude has said, I remember speaking to Del and I am pretty sure it can't be done on later engines due to the Motronic(?) but if you replace it with an aftermarket management system I don't see the problem, unless as Anthony has pointed out the engine internals are different?

sensualt101

do skip brown do still do roadspeed conversions on standard cars? mine is a 92 1.6 gti and has the earlier injection system i believe and no cat :unsure:

Anthony

1.6 GTi models never had a CAT fitted or the later Motronic management.

I believe that Skip Brown still offer the Roadspeed engine conversions - a quick phone call would be the best bet.

Whether the costs involved are worthwhile though compared to other options that give much more "bang for buck" is questionable though - and that's coming from someone that owns one and put together another for Feb on here a few months back. The engines do come up occasionally, so it might be worthwhile keeping an eye out for one if you want to go down that route as it will work out much, much cheaper that way.

sensualt101

1.6 GTi models never had a CAT fitted or the later Motronic management.

I believe that Skip Brown still offer the Roadspeed engine conversions - a quick phone call would be the best bet.

Whether the costs involved are worthwhile though compared to other options that give much more "bang for buck" is questionable though - and that's coming from someone that owns one and put together another for Feb on here a few months back. The engines do come up occasionally, so it might be worthwhile keeping an eye out for one if you want to go down that route as it will work out much, much cheaper that way.

thanks for that info anthony i thought that of my car and i have been looking in to getting more power from my 1.6 gti but am now considering just getting another car to experiment with as my current car is totally original and standard so am gonna keep it that way but the sbc is a period mod so i like it. i also like the homebrew turbo that tom fenton has done! i never cease to be amazed at the quality of workmanship that fellow enthusiasts lavish on their cars and the brilliant engineering solutions they find to get around problems :)

DamirGTI

What are the internal differences with dkz engine compared with original 130bhp 1.9 engine ?

Cheers Ste.

DKZ has different camshaft (less lift than 130bhp D6B one ..) pistons (with deeper piston crown dish than D6B ones ..) and , of course , different engine management ..

For whats worth , personally id keep it standard , cos it's really nice to drive (compared to the D6B engine with Jetronic management ...) and it's better on fuel consumption than Jetronic 205's + you can run it on 95RON fuel which is a tad cheaper (D6B engine really needs 98 grade fuel .. it can go on 95 but feels gutless and you need to retard the ignition timing quite a bit ..)

DKZ engined 205 will be the best roundabout for daily basis :) , so , id pick up another one and do it mental power for weekend spins/trackdas ! (if you can afford two 205's :blush:)

Damir B)

Sign in to follow this