• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
spark-plug

1600 Sprint Car Engine Ideas

spark-plug

Hello there everyone i was wondering if you could help me with a couple of questions.

Im hoping to enter a 205 gti into my local sprint championship next year. The class im aiming for is the road going 1400-1800cc class. I have a 1600gti which i will use but remember hearing a rumour that pistons from a citroen BX engine can simply be dropped in to increase capacity to around 1795cc which would be the class optimum. Is there any truth in this rumour and has anyone done this modification?

Also being on a tight budget and finding webers a bit of a nightmare in the past (this will also be a road car so drivability is important + economy to a point) can you increase power by using aftermarket management and doing away with the afM and fitting a TPS and MAP sensors to run it? Or are the standard manifold and injectors not up to supplying more power.

Any help will be much appreciated thanks.

Anthony

BX GTi pistons will only boost compression - to increase capacity, you need to increase bore and/or stroke.

You maybe thinking of the XU7 engine, which is 1761cc, and available in both 8v and 16v formats. Found in 306, 406, Xantia, and Xsara models amongst others.

Properly mapped management will increase power/torque and drivability over the standard Jetronic fuelling and clockwork dizzy, but at a cost. Obviously the standard plenum manifold will give lesser results than you'd achieve with ITB's

spark-plug

Thanks for the reply. So is it just a case of sourcing those pistons and dropping them straight in? I know nothing is ever straightforward when it comes to modifying but i was hoping that might be the case.

With regards to the injection side of things would it be a useful to stick with the plenum manifold and aftermarket management for the time being as a stepping stone until i can afford the ITB's. THe other reason i was thinking of this set up is ive heard that the afm cant cope with pulsing when using a silly cam and as a cam is a good way to more power using MAP/TPS would overcome this wouldnt it? Or do i just go the bike carbs or weber route again?

Anthony

I don't know what the rules are for the various classes in your local sprint championship, but that would be a good place to start - you're usually fairly limited in what you can do in more standard road-going classes, which is where a 205 is going to be most compatative in my opinion. Too many modifications and you'll end up in a class where you'll be up against some *serious* machinery.

I'd personally run it as a standard engine atleast initially, to get a feel for it and as you develop and get faster, you can decide where best to modify the car to improve it and reduce your times. Baz on here won his Sprint championship class a couple of years back in a (almost) standard 205 1.6 GTi.

Quite a few people on here run in various South West sprint championships, so would be worth doing a search and reading some of the posts they've written.

tony perks

Personally I would go for the XU7 engine complete, The high compression 306/406 pistons are quite a weighty item, the rings being a fair way down from the top of the crown too, and the rings are quite wide so not really a performance piston by any means! As for the std plenum inlet you can get good power and torque from it when using an after market manegement system, and even the std ecu air flow meter can give good results when time is spent setting up.

gtmotorsport

In the Road Going Production class the engine block and head need to be the standard items. Although they can be internally modified in capacity and components as I understand it.

From my experience as you will have seen the best improvement is to be had in getting a LSD in the gearbox if your going to run St Eval again. I think from when you were running your old car the biggest problem is spinning a wheel and bogging down, etc. Also suspension makes a big improvement.

My advice would be to get a LSD and work from there on with a standard car, only thing to consider is type with road driving as well. Plate type diff is a less comfortable to live with every day in a road car compared to a ATB type. Only talking from my experience with a Gripper plate diff and driving a friends 106 with an ATB.

Nice to see you back again all the same.

Edited by gtmotorsport

tony perks
In the Road Going Production class the engine block and head need to be the standard items. Although they can be internally modified in capacity and components as I understand it.

From my experience as you will have seen the best improvement is to be had in getting a LSD in the gearbox if your going to run St Eval again. I think from when you were running your old car the biggest problem is spinning a wheel and bogging down, etc. Also suspension makes a big improvement.

My advice would be to get a LSD and work from there on with a standard car, only thing to consider is type with road driving as well. Plate type diff is a less comfortable to live with every day in a road car compared to a ATB type. Only talking from my experience with a Gripper plate diff and driving a friends 106 with an ATB.

Nice to see you back again all the same.

By using the Xu7 the block and 8v head would be the same and you would be bang on the class limit, but i agree an lsd would be a good way to go, but if the gearing is not changed ie to a 4.4 or 4.8 then, i think you would get more bogging down in the tight stuff, so losing more time?

Sandy

XU7 block is not original to 205. All fine until you start doing well and get protested! It happens. You can swap the internals over no problem.

red

I'd leave it as it is just get it running correct and get some Bilsteins and springs on it 23mm rear ARB, I've never driven the 1.6 but used the box in the 1.9 perfect match, ATB diff would be a good idea but costly, the stock exhaust mani and a descent group N exhaust will be fine, I don't run a Pug any more and do fine with a 172 Cup fully standard, you'll get more gains from a balanced car than just adding power! do the engine last. have fun.

Regards Russ..............

tony perks

so does the XU7 block have the extra lump A la Mi16 then Sandy?, I have never stripped one only sold them on.

Miles

I;ve seen 2 types of XU7 block, one you really would be hard pushed to notice a differance as the only sign was some extra rib's on the back and a larger Deck area which I think is a great little bonus, but with the amount of other XU blocks around not worth it unless you know you only doing it for fun,

To give you an idea of my local one, The over 2000cc Road Going class had a Evo5 or 6 with 550bhp

Sign in to follow this