• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
murtaghp

Head Gasket Advice

murtaghp

Hi All,

I am currently stripping my 1.9 engine after the head gasket went and could do with some advice.

Head Gasket - I have seen a head set on the net for about £25 and was wondering if it would be worth buying a separate head gasket from somewhere else as I don't think the one supplied would be up to much.

Mayo - While stripping the engine, I have come across the expected mayo in all of the breathers but the water looks to be not too bad. I know I have water in the oil as the level is now way above the max in the dipstick. I can flush the cooling system no problem but i'm unsure what to do with the oil side.

Do I simply drain the system and change the oil & filter or is there a flushing oil that I can put in for the start up then change it again?

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul_13

I think you'll find that won't include the actual head gasket, seems a bit to cheap to me.

I would personally recommend getting a pug headgasket.

Me and Ryan stripped the 1.6 gti engine that got ripped out. Apparently it had a rebuild and they used a cheap headgasket which blew again in no time.

Miles

Get a Payen set, I always try and use these as they are around the best you can get and not too badly priced either

murtaghp

Who sells Payen sets?

M@tt
Who sells Payen sets?

any half decent motor factor, give a couple near you a call and ask what brand they stock

schimples!

pug_ham

I got a Motaquip headset (Peugeot group aftermarket parts) for my engine, ~£40 with headbolts but you need a local Motaquip dealer.

Graham.

welshpug

or use motaparts.co.uk :lol:

2-Pugs

Re. the oil, simply drain and refill and replace the filter. Once it's all back together and running go for a long drive to dry it out. If you're still worried replace the oil again shortly after and that should take any remaining moisture out with it.

One other thing I'd recommend you do if you havent already done it is clean the throttle body out thoroughly, using carb cleaner or similiar, including all the little inlet and outlet ports, as traces of mayo and gunk will have found there way in there if your breathers had mayo in. Getting the throttle body cleaned out and set up properly makes a world of difference to how the car idles and runs.

Edited by 2-Pugs

murtaghp

Seeing the condition of the throttle body and filler is what prompted me to start thinking of oil flush.

I'm not sure how much fettling I can do though other than a good clean, I have the cat engine and the Haynes recommends leaving it alone.

All I can do is give it a good flush with carb’ cleaner and hope for the best.

Thanks for the advice

pug_ham
or use motaparts.co.uk :(

motaparts.com?

I got the VHSB122 set for mine.

Graham.

murtaghp

Well it all looks academic now as the head is FUBAR.

Looks like my only options now are to find a head or complete engine for sale.

Does anybody know if the heads off of a Cat & Non-Cat are the same?

Cheers

shalmaneser
Well it all looks academic now as the head is FUBAR.

Looks like my only options now are to find a head or complete engine for sale.

Does anybody know if the heads off of a Cat & Non-Cat are the same?

Cheers

Exactly the same.

You can use a 1.6 or 1.9 head as they're the same, although the cam profile varies minutely.

murtaghp

Thanks for that.

I may be able to get a hold of a non-cat engine.

Will the motronic 1.3 work ok on a non-cat engine?

Sign in to follow this