• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonnyturbo

Xu10j2te Overfueling/headgasket

jonnyturbo

il point out first that the block is standard with the headgasket done already but not ran once, but the head has a 1.9 cam in it and was shimmed as a 1.9 according to the place who did the work. my fuel pump and tank is off a gti6.

well i started my engine and it was running rough popping from the exhaust and was smoking a bit which smelled like petrol so took the plugs out and they were black so it was overfueling but also sounded like the timing was out, the timing has been done by a 1.9 pulley so tried using welding rods down the chambers and looked like it was a couple of teeth out so changed the timing (checked it) and it was still running rough. within a couple of mins of it being started alot of mayo started appearing in the header tank which im guessing is the headgasket gone but the engine had only been running a couple of mins and not enough time for it to warm up as the pipes were still cold.

anybody any idea what might of happened? and what would of caused it to over fuel?

Henry Yorke

Map sensor? Missing / wrong lambda?

jonnyturbo

lamba is plugged in and definitely the right one. where is map sensor located? and could you shed any light on why the headgasket might of gone? could it possibly be the thermostat housing? (mayo in header tank)

dcc

was the block cleaned out after the headgasket was done last time? could still have been oil in the system.

oh and are you using the water/oil heat exhanger (for the oil cooler)

jonnyturbo

im guessing so, i bought the engine with the H/G done already off someone on here.

and no not using the heat exchanger.

il try refreshing the oil and run some water through it first and see what happens.

dcc

are you getting pressurised water system or anything like the such?

jonnyturbo

ok iv refreshed the oil and water and ran it for a while, had a look at the dipstick and there is a little mayo on the bottom of it, no cream in the header tank though.

car idles ok but smokes pritty bad (smells like petrol) and pops from the exhaust, also back fires sometimes when i rev the engine.

going to try a different ecu i have and try running it with the lamba unplugged to see if it makes a difference.

im using a gti6 fuel pump, would this make a difference at all to the fueling going in?

thanks.

jonnyturbo

changed the ecu and no difference but then took the lamba sensor out and it seems to be running better now so i guess i need a new lamba now but dont want to go and spend money on a lamba and it do the same again so if anyone has any ideas what to do please let me know, thanks.

Henry Yorke

It does sound like it is over fuelling if it stinks of fuel. That could only really be down to lambda or map sensor.

whizzer71

Deffo sounds like cam timing my friend 100% certain on that, there are two types of top pulley also which have the marks 1 tooth out I have experienced this 1st hand and it kept me guessing for ages, going over and over things and thinking I was going mad, only difference being that I hasd built the engine so I knew there were no probs there, which cam pulley did you use the 1.9 one or the 2.0ltr one, also what type of belt did you use the genuine item has white lines on it which lines up with a dot on the cam and sometimes a short line or dot on the crank pulley, this is how I sorted it in the end.

Basically one tooth will make it run like a dog

:)

jonnyturbo

1.9 cam with a 2.0 cam pulley, i took the lamba out the exhaust and it didnt sound too bad so put it back in and disconnected it and its not running too bad and doesnt smoke alot nor smells like petrol but after a few revs it starts smoking for about 30 seconds and smelling like petrol then goes ok again.

Not sure on cambelt but i got it off eurocar parts.

I timed it up again using the hole on the cam pulley and crank pulley and its running as iv stated above still. not sure how to time it any other way my self though.

tried a different ecu and still the same by the way.

Edited by jonnyturbo

peter

What colour is the smoke? The turbo's on these engines are renound for smokeing on idle, ive had 3 differnt engines and 5 turbos all of them smoked on idle. Ive now fitted one with a stepped oil seal and its spot on.

However as for the lambda being at fault, i havnt yet put a lambda boss into my exhaust on the one ive got and the car seems to run totaly fine, It may not be but it certainly doesnt effect performance (its quiker than my e36 m3 thats 314bhp)

Does the car still feel 'quick'?

To be honest mine does pop and bang and run a little bit rough until warm which is probably because of the lambda.

Another thing you have to watch with these engine is the carbon build up if you havnt built the engine your self i would at least take the sump off to inspect the carbon sluge build up.

Ive had one where the sluge/carbon was that bad it blocked the oil pick up and turbo oil feed. Even the oil filler neck was quite blocked as well not to mention the oil squirters and cam jurnals

jonnyturbo

well iv taken the rocker cover off and its oiled up good if that makes any difference concerning the sluge/carbon.

not drove the car yet im afraid but its likely that i will do to test what its like.

its not the turbo as iv also had 2 engines in the past which smoked but this turbo was rebuilt with a stagger gap turbine seal if thats the same as yours im not sure

its definitely over fueling as i can smell it alot from the exhaust but as iv said in previous post it idles ok but after a few revs it smokes for 10 seconds (smelling of petrol) and then runs ok again.

welshpug

checked the ecu temperature sender? running standard injectors?

mwilcock

would the ecu temp sensor make it run so rich?

standard injectors.

what would make a car run rich

bigger injectors

map sensor

tps

not generating enough spark - faulty coilpack?

fuel pressure too high

cam timing - burning fuel at wrong point and thus not burning all

lambda sensor

ignition module?

Feel free to edit list

welshpug

yes it can.

any of the above related to the supply of fuel can make it run rich.

bigger injectors alone will make it run rich, but if the ecu is mapped you'll not have a problem.

mwilcock

Can you think of anything to add to that list mei?

Tom Fenton

There needs to be some proper checks done here on a first principles basis as otherwise everyone is just guessing. I would start with properly checking the cam timing, the holes in pulley method is not always reliable due to the rubber damper pulley moving.

Once this is done a compression test.

Then injectors out to be tested and cleaned.

Etc etc.

mwilcock

I timed the engine up, didnt use the pulley method, i dropped 4 welding rods in level'd them and adjusted the cam pulley like i did with my last engine.

Its been pressure tested all pots are 170psi

injectors ran on the last engine, if they were dirty or needed cleaning wouldnt they make the engine run lean? or can it stick open?

jonnyturbo

running standard injectors and have 2 sets which i have tried both and still same.

map sensor - changed ecu for a spare i have and still same

tps - this being on the tb? if so i have changed the whole tb for another one i had.

lambda sensor - read previous posts and will explain.

ignition module? - changed and still same.

whizzer71

Have you tried another coolant temp sensor ?,Its the green one down the back of the head in the thermostat / coolant housing, You really need to make sure the cam timing is where it ought to be, go get yourself a belt from GSF these are made by the same company that make the original ones as supplied by Puegeot, wont cost you a fortune, you can then fit it lign it up with the dots on the crank and cam pulley, It really isnt rocket science but so important that this is correct otherwise you may as well be P*ssing in the wind

:lol:

peter

Has to be the coolant temp sensor!

jonnyturbo

had a look on gsf website and there not selling the cambelt seperate, maybe different in store though? anybody got a part number for the belt? put another coolant sensor on but not tried it yet but will let you know as soon as iv tried it.

thanks

jonnyturbo

ok been informed by my brother the h/g has gone probley between an oil way and water way so now in need of a h/g too, am i right in saying i can use a gti6 mls h/g which is also an upgrade slightly for this engine?

Sign in to follow this